Some glitches with User Limited account

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by martosurf, Jan 14, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. martosurf

martosurf Registered Member

Hello, this is my first post here :cool:

A little intro to my post: since I have recent bad experiences with some software transmitting information out of my machine without my explicit consent -read VirtualCD and others-, I'm looking for a light weight powerfull and very customizable firewall to block those bad nasty ones.

Some time ago I came across GhostFirewall wich firstly I liked very much but it lacks the outbound protection I need so I had to give it away - a very sad thing because I really liked it. In that opportunity, I just take a glimpse at AD and RD but didn't give them a try.

Nowadays, I tried Sunbelt-Kerio PF wich is a really ground-breaking cool firewall BUT it have some issues with user accounts, so sadly I had to let it go... and the other firewall I like, TinyPF2005 pro is very feature rich and even have a minimal HIPS embedded but also is somewhat heavier.

So, searching and researching I finally came back to GhostSecurity and recently I downloaded AD to give it another try because it have a nice feature I specially love: let or don't let any application access network, in other words a "rude" network outbound protection. I'm specially looking for something like that because I love to use WinXPsp2 built-in firewall, is light, stealth and applications configure and integrates itself very well with it.

Well, AD seems pretty good, more than PG, SSM, Cyberhawk and so on, and I'm planning to not only buy it but also buy RegDefender, the perfect partner to this great app. They both give me granular protection and an extensive feature rich actions showcase to control every aspect of the operating system and applications behaviour - all of this with a very low resource and memory consuming footprint.

But (you know, allways there is a but o_O) I'm have some trouble with a limited user account.

I have two accounts on my machine: one with administrator privileges -the one I use- and other as a Limited User account -o whatever it may named in english-.

The problem is, from time to time when I try to "Fast switch user" (again, whatever it may named in english, buy I hope you will understand :thumb:) from the Administer account to the Limited User account AD don't let the LU account log in.

Then, I have to close my session, log in as the Limited User and click "Allways allow" button in AD when it told me about Winlogon, userinit.exe and so on are trying to start.

Is there a work around for this?

Sorry for my Tarzan-like english, I hope you can understand what I want to mean!!!! :)

Thank you very much for reading this and your support!!

Best,
    Martin
    Mar del Plata / Argentina

2. martosurf

UPDATE - UPDATE

I have determined this:

1. If I first log on in the Administrator account, when I want to fast switch to the Limited User account Windows just can't log in and keeps returning to welcome screen.

2. If I first log on int he Limited User account then fast switch to the Administrator account and then back to the Limited User account, I can close Limited User account session and this time I CAN log in Limited User account without any restrictions whenever I want.

You can imagine how frustrating it can be to have to log in to one account, switch to welcome screen, log in to the other account then switch to the previous account and close it with confidence it will operate correctly next time I need to use it o_O :gack: :rolleyes: o_O :mad: :blink: :ouch: :thumbd: :cautious:

It's very sad to see a good app like AD plagued with bugs... also... are you selling beta software? So, in just plain english... I have to pay to test your softo_O? C'mon bro !!!!!!!

3. martosurf

UPDATE - UPDATE

Two more things:

1. I can fast switch to the limited user from the Administrator account if I previously disable AD protection... like if AD if not installed, LOL, what a paradox !!!!! sorry... :p :D :rolleyes:

2. I found AD suffers some tipe of amnesia too, because from time to time it ask permission for application I already granted permission for the same things and ports AD still asks... - well... o_O

I'll keep you updated with more of my personal research, meanwhile will be very well appreciated an answer on how to correct these bugs, thank you.

4. tlu

tlu Guest

Without going into details, this thread might solve at least some of your problems. As for Fast User Switching (FUS), I'm not sure as I don't use it.

5. martosurf

Thanks tlu, that thread helped a lot to make GSS work smooth on the limited account :D

Meanwhile, I have tracked down the problem with FUS: when you have two or more accounts logged at the same time, Windows loads services for each of them and I think there's where the problem with GSS is. GSS tries -I think- to load itself twice when I log to the LUA and for some reason -may be a bug, may be because it's coded to work that way, who knows- it can't.
    The strange and funny thing is I CAN log in the administrator account once already logged as limited user but, alas!, GSS is disable and I need to close accounts and leave only one logged in to make it work properly.

Hope this help in some way the guy's behind this nice application.

Best regards! :)

6. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

As has been said in other posts the latest AppDefend works better with multiple accounts and FUS. It should even work fine with simultaneous users editing rules and things of that nature (not that you would ever really do this). :)

7. martosurf

Hi Jason!

Sorry to dissapoint you pal but I can't get GSS running well with FUS on a LUA.

I'm running WinXP Pro sp2 (spanish) with two accounts, one Administer account, the one I personally use and a LUA for the rest of the family.

No matter what I do, when I use FUS I can't log into the LUA account so I have to go back to my (aminister) account, turnoff Appdefend from the system tray icon and then try to change to the LUA account again.

This is not a very bad thing, but I need to remember to turn Appdefend off every time I leave the PC because my mom, sister and dad for instance would'n log into their account.

Besides that, you have an excellent application, I like the few little resources it consumes, the lightning fast speed with which it operates, and even the GUI is somewhat cool. I could say you master assembler and that alone deserves you a five star rate, but I'm sad I can't install the GSS right now on a critical-working environment.

Thanks for replying, I'm keeping and eye on you man :D

Martin

8. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Martosurf, is this the latest alpha you tried? I've tested that a lot with FUS and it works fine. That is what I meant by "latest version". Though you may not necessarily want to run that one since it is an alpha.

9. martosurf

I was not aware there's already an alpha version, if you say it works fine I will gladly test it and tell my feelings, where can I get it?

Thanx

10. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Look at the top post in this forum section ;)

Alphalutra1

11. martosurf

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.