Some experiences or comments about this AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by larouse, Oct 3, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. larouse

larouse Registered Member

2. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Interesting name choice (Rising AV = RAV?)

Blue

3. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Thanks, larouse, for sharing this info.

Poof! Rising AV appears from out of the blue! Their abbreviated name of RAV is identical to the highly regarded AV that M$ purchased. Coincidence? Or are they trading on a past glory? I wonder. :rolleyes:

Home website http://www.rising-global.com/
    Registrant: Beijing Rising Technology Corporation Limited, Floor 13,Zhongke Plaza,No.22 Zhongguancun Street,Haidian District,Beijing China 100080
    Registration Date: 2002-09-13
    Update Date: 2002-09-13
    Expiration Date: 2006-09-13

The website "Help" link provides access to lots of information about this AV, but I didn't read it. When I clicked on Help, it popped up an offer to download a Chinese font, which I ignored. Once I removed the pop-up, a Help file in English appeared.

According to larouse's link, the malware removal function is disabled in the trial copy. It's a 15.8MB download, but I didn't download it. Someone with more gutz than me, please give it a try & let us all know what you think. *puppy*

Last edited: Oct 3, 2004
  4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

It will be interesting to see where this one goes. I like the cartoon lion in the corner and the colorful comic book style graphics, lol :) I know a few people that would probably get it just based on that.

5. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

6. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

I wonder if that is the same kobra that used to frequent this board. From the screenshots it does look like it allows for quite a bit of configuration though :)

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Short answer, yes it is.

Blue

8. rerun2

rerun2 Registered Member

heh should have browsed the other part of the forum before I asked :D

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Whoever *kobra* is, it's a very helpful review.

I trialed RisingAV myself, & found that its resource usage was only slightly higher than that of DrWeb. It ran just fine on my ancient system (233Mhz cpu; 256MB ram; WinME). NO discernible slow-down. It has a remarkably light footprint for an AV with so many features. Also, the install was sweet & clean (unlike MKS).

I might add that the trial copy is crippled as pertains to signature updates & as to taking any action on detected infections. Also, entry screens all have "buy me" nags.

I wish Firefighter would weigh in about this new AV with some test data & comments. Where is the FF lately? I miss him. :'(

10. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Yeh:- wondered why he couldn't resist a dig at Nod and Kav has being bad at removing viruses( with a comments like that he undermines everything else he says) some folk never change/learn!
    Still probably cant get banned from what seems like his own "baby"

11. guess

guess Guest

a China AV which don't really have good reputation!!
    In China, JiangMin AV (which uses Kaspersky Engine) and Duba AV are much better and popular... ...

12. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

He does not say that NOD and KAV are bad at removing virus but that they are not very good at repairing and sometimes cause the loss of an infected system file causing system instability. This has been well documented, but does not happen often. Everyone, including Kobra, knows that KAV consistently scores higher, but puts a load the system and gamers prefer NOD for speed and good AV protection.

13. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

He actually stated that Kaspersky and Nod were"notoriously bad" which isnt the case it all depends how you have them set (especially Kav)to deal with infections:-its obvious that any AV that is allowed/used to delete system files can cause instabillity!
    If you knew his history,both here and at the ICE forum,you would probably realise why he specifically highlighted these two as being"notoriously bad"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.