Some Avira questions

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tepe2, Jan 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

If you want Aviras WebGuard you have to buy the suite (Avira Premium Security Suite). Thats ok. But can you disable the firewall that comes with the suite? And how is this firewall? Inbound only? Better inbound protection than Windows XP firewall?

At first I was thinking of Avira free. But after I read some threads about http-scanners I would not use Avira without the WebGuard.

If I decide to use Avira free what other application can I use to cover http-scanning?

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 5, 2008
  3. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

With Avira you can choose which modules to install. The only required one is Guard (which is the real time protector). So during installation you just uncheck the firewall if you don't want it. Plus, what is super neat is that if you decide later to try it, you just go to Add/Remove Programs/Avira and choose "Modify" instead of "Uninstall" and you can add the firewall in seconds. Then if you don't like it, go to "Modify" again and uncheck the firewall module and it just takes a few seconds for it be removed. You do not need to reboot or uninstall Avira and then install again with the component. It is so easy to add or remove modules! I love this feature!

The firewall doesn't get good reviews but Avira has been paying attention to comments in the Avira forum about it and beta 8 is improving the firewall. I'm testing Avira Premium beta 8 but I dislike software firewalls so I try to keep it installed to test it but end up removing it after just a little while. (I have ProcessGuard to handle stuff trying to call out). So, I can't tell you what exactly will be in the new ver. 8 firewall but it will definitely be improved. Beta goes until early April so there are several months now for improvements.

It is a full, rules based firewall not just inbound. However, the current ver. 7 closes, but doesn't stealth all ports and didn't close one until Avira fixed it recently. As for closing all instead of stealthing, Avira stated that they didn't see any advantage to stealth over closed and they weren't going to fix it to be stealth. I told them (in the Avira forum) that it didn't really matter if they thought stealth was overkill because the users want stealth (like when they test at GRC Shields Up) and, therefore, Avira needed to make it stealth since their customers want that. Well, they have done that (or are in the process of doing it), but I think all ports are stealthed now (my version 7 is Premium not the Suite so I can't check). I know that stealthed ports will be in ver. 8 along with other firewall improvements.

4. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Mele20: Any chance you can post pictures of the Avira Beta 8? If it's any different like in the GUI and new functions compared to version 7 of course.

Maybe you aren't allowed to post pictures?

Sorry for off-topic.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

i heard its the same GUI.

6. Jadda

Jadda Registered Member

Ah, ok. Then it's no need to post pictures. (If no other wants to see) I'm the kind of guy that loves new GUI in AV programs after some years with the same.

Thanks.

7. Xenophobe

Xenophobe Registered Member

I heard a new GUI will be implemented later.

8. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

In the suite. if you shut off the firewall to use a different one can you get the icon in task bar to show an open umbrella? The closed umbrella is bothersome looking.

9. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Yes, each day now I'm expecting an email from Avira announcing a new beta ready for download with the new GUI. I have seen preliminary pictures of what it will look like in the beta forum. We were asked to not post the pictures outside the forum or discuss it. It won't be radically different from the current GUI but will modernize it. I think, if it remains like what I saw in the pictures, that most folks will like it. I'm a creature of habit and I like the current GUI so having to learn to click in different places...well, I really don't know if I will learn quickly to like it or not as I haven't yet got to play with it. ;) Some will love it right off the bat and it fits with a lot of websites that have changed their look to be "updated".

As for the umbrella remaining closed in the tray when using another software firewall, I'm sure that will be fixed. That was discussed in the regular forum but I don't recall the details offhand.

10. Leo2005

Leo2005 Registered Member

well this depends on how the firewall is disabled. when the firewall is installed but deactivated, the umbrella stays closed. when the firewall is not installed the umbrelle stays opened.
    there is only a bug with the non admin accounts that the umbrella is closed even when the firewall is not installed. this will hopefully be fixed with the next release.

11. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Hope u guyz don't mind me jumping in here but the title "Some Avira questions" suits my situation.

Maybe I'm too tired and need a rest but i can't see how to tell avira to ask for instructions everytime it finds something - no matter what, rather than 'shooting first & then advising me of the death-toll later'.

So where is the box to tick to say, scan & advise but do not auto-clean - or similar?

(P.S. sorry to hijack the thread.)

12. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

You set everything to interactive mode (it asks you before it does anything). I would not allow it or any other program to make decisions that could have dire consequences.

13. Dieselman

Dieselman Registered Member

I disagree. I just installed Antivir Premium and I don't feel the need for web guard. I went into the eclair test website and it stopped it in its track.

14. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Please do. I dont mind. The more questions and answers the more I can learn. :)

When you use Avira Free (without web guard) what other application, if any, could cover the web guard part? Other than a sandbox. Are there several alternatives or just a few? Standalone application or integrated with a HIPS or a firewall?

15. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

Was that the chocolate eclair test? :D
    Just kidding.....I know you mean Eicar Test.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2008
  16. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Agreed. A temporary lapse of reason can be painful at times. :mad:

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

It is set to INTERACTIVE by DEFAULT. Yours wasn't?

18. ugly

ugly Registered Member

Web guard is not crucial to stop eicar test.
    Read this. Sometimes is the only way to stop exploits. :ninja:

19. trjam

trjam Registered Member

I think when all get a chance to see the new suite by Avira, talk of other apps to add are going to decline. Something special is not to far off and there are a few surprises that are going to set Avira apart from all of the others.;)

20. Bunkhouse Buck

Bunkhouse Buck Registered Member

It is already special as far as I am concerned, but of course any improvements are welcome.

21. tepe2

tepe2 Registered Member

Then maybe Avast is better for me because I want to use a free AV. But I dont want to miss http-scanning. Avast is free and has http-scanning. I could use Avira free if I had another application to take care of http-scanning.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.