[solved] Windows 2000 task manager

Discussion in 'adware, spyware & hijack cleaning' started by Doug Taylor, Jun 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Doug Taylor

Doug Taylor Registered Member

Hello,

My son's PCs task manager is hijacked. I checked the HijackThis log, ran Ad-Aware in safemode and searched the registry for Task Manager, but no help. When selecting Task Manager what is displayed is the applications tab only and without the tab, no title bar, menu bar, process tab or performance tab. He had Gator and Wild Tangent in his Hijackthis log, but nothing else striking an alarm. These were removed and Ad-Aware was run in safemode again, nothing found. In my mind I am thinking that a Windows policy has been set, but am not finding it. Any thoughts?

With our Lord's blessings,

Doug

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Re: Windows 2000 task manager

Hi Doug, welcome to Wilders.

I have moved your thread out of the General Topics forum and into this one.

Please follow ALL the instructions in this link:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=15913

Once you have downloaded HijackThis, create a permanent folder for it on your C: (call the folder whatever you'd like) then unzip Hijackthis.exe into the new folder (do not put it in a Temp folder or desktop).

Then open Hijackthis and run it by clicking on the Scan button. When the scan has finished, the "Scan" button will then change to a Save Log button. Press the "Save Log" button and save it to a location you can easily find it. Open the saved log and copy and paste the entire contents of the log here in your next post.

Please do NOT fix anything in Hijackthis by yourself. Most of what it lists will be harmless and even essential. Someone will review your log and reply back with instructions on what needs to be fixed.

Regards,

snap

3. Doug Taylor

Hi SnapDragin,

Thank you for moving my post to the proper forum. I saw it was moved and started searching for it. :( Panic! :) Nick at Spyware Warrior already looked at my son's HijackThis log. So, I really don't want to take time from others here checking a previously checked log.

For the record I am an IT professional, I’ve worked with PCs for 21 years either in programming, setting them up or simply keeping them running. I’ve been cleaning spyware form PCs at work and from friends PCs for over a year. I am not new to PCs that does not mean I know everything or that I can not learn any more, the opposite is true. Especially these days with the rather sudden on slot of spy ware. Also, I signed up for “Boot Camp” at SWI so that I can “Officially” help others.

This one is different Hijackthis and Ad-Aware doesn’t see it. I connected to my server from my son’s PC and ran taskmgr.exe from my server c:\winnt\system32 directory. If the local task manager was corrupt running it from my server “might” have run correctly. Since it didn’t I expect a registry change on my son’s PC that prevents displaying the “Processes” and “Performance” tabs. I ran Policy Editor to see if there was a setting in there, but didn’t see one.

If you still think posting the Hijackthis log is needed I will, but I really don’t want to waste any ones time. Those in need are many, those that help are few.

With our Lord’s blessings,

Doug

4. snapdragin

Appreciate your consideration, Doug. :) If you're signed up at bootcamp then you know how busy it can get with these logs. Was Nick able to resolve the problem then?

Your experience as an IT pro is far beyond my experience, but if you would like to post a hijackthis log, I can ask one of the Experts to look through it and maybe they will see something. Or you can wait on that and I'll lock this thread for now, but if you would like it reopened again, you can PM me or one of the other Moderators. :)

Regards,

snap

5. Doug Taylor

Hi SnapDragin,

No, Nick didn't know what would help with the task manager. That is why I posted here. He did confirm my concerns with the HijackThis log and those have been corrected. However, the task manager issue still remains. Something locked it down so that processes can not be terminated. I need to find this out, not just because it is on my son’s PC. We can format and start over, it is not a mission critical PC and he and I have discussed this. However, finding out what has caused this will help me help others in the long run.

Please leave it open I would like to hear from others that may have experienced the same or similar hijack. Meanwhile, I continue to search Google and MS technet for answers.

With our Lord’s blessings,

Doug

6. snapdragin

Hi Doug,

I will leave this thread open in case you do decide you'd like to post a new hijackthis log (if something appears in it that is unfamiliar to you from the one that Nick worked on.) But since only Wilders Staff, Security Experts, Windows Experts, Spyware Experts and Spyware Fighters are the only one's able to post a response in this forum, you will not get other member's thoughts and ideas here in the 'hijack cleaning' forum.

You may also want to start a new topic over in our Other Security Issues forum, where members will be able to post a reply and maybe offer you additional help. :) You can post a link to this thread too so you won't have to re-explain why you are not posting a hijackthis log, because that would be the first thing suggested.

Regards,

snap

7. Doug Taylor

Hello SnapDragin,

Well, it took a lot of digging, but I found my answer. Now, I feel foolish take a look at this:

KB Article 193050

With OUr Lord's blessings,

Doug

8. snapdragin

"Tiny Footprint mode" <--yes, of course! LOL

Well don't feel foolish at all because I remember Pieter helping someone with that same problem and I forgot all about it myself.

So glad you solved the mystery for both of us Doug. :D

I will mark this thread's title [solved] now. ;)

Regards,

snap

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.