Solo AV

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by dw2108, Sep 22, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I've been using Solo AV on some old, old Win 95 systems. So far, so good. Anyone here ever tried this AV?

Dave

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I guess this is the official home page of "Solo Antivirus v4.0" ($24.95)
    http://srnmicro.com/
    Never heard of it and security softwares based on blacklists aren't my favorite ones. I try to get rid of them.

3. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I saw Solo tested somewhere before...
    It didn't fare well.

4. ErikAlbert

I'm not surprised. This is just a company that re-invented the wheel to make money out of it by telling the user, they have the very best AV scanner in the world. They sell only ONE product.
    How can such a scanner level with advanced+ scanners, like KAV or NOD32 ?

5. Inspector Clouseau

Inspector Clouseau AV Expert

That's an indian based AV company - they are from Chennai and i do know these guys. They having a lot of different names for ONE product - another name is "FireAV" link is this: http://fireav.com/

Detection is horroble lousy, i mean what else would you expect?

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

The Whois IP search says both SRN Micro and Fire AV are from Chennai, but different addresses in the same city o_O

And don't talk to me about detection rates of FireAV :eek:

The detection rates were so horribly lousy that I don't think it is really an AV....

7. ErikAlbert

Three "Doctors" in their team and such a lousy scanner. Doctors in scam ($25 upto $150) or what ?

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Probably just lazy people. Fire AV is bundled with the Internet Connection packages of one of India's largest ISPs. The reason? Both the ISP and the FireAV developer are in the same city.

But as it goes, FireAV is POS.

9. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Well, there goes Solo! Thanks for the feedback.

Dave

10. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Call me crazy, but Solo really does protect Win 9x machines. May not be much on 2000, XP, 2003 and Vista Life is full of surprises!

Dave HAL

11. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

I used SOLO 3 years ago for some time on my old computer. Very poor software, missed many common malwares, had a few false positives. If you need good software that is light on resources use Avira AntiVir or Dr.Web.

12. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

I use AntiVir and F-Prot 3.16f on 9x systems off and on. Today I was hit with the BLA Winamp.exe. Solo caught it and found two registry keys. I kept the Winamp crapware to see what would happen with another AV. F-Prot missed the action realtime, but caught the casing file with on demand scan. AntiVir caught the action, but recognized only the payload file. Obviously, no registry keys were noticed by F-Prot or by AntiVir. This is the third time Solo has caught crapware missed by "the big guys." The FP's are a real pain in the can, so I scan with F-Prot, avast!, or AntiVir. I dunno, but it's working for me.

Dave

13. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

Most malware authors have stopped making malware for windows 95 and that could be why you are doing fine.

14. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Yeah, I thought about that too, but it seems to have a registry protector similar to Spybot's TeaTimer. At least, I feel safe with this on a 9x machie along with SD and WinPatrol.

Dave HAL

Last edited: Apr 3, 2007
  15. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

ADD: With a safe browser, or with SD or SS set with added extensions to intercept, this Solo stuff isn't too bad with XP SP2. Strange things occur in "Life." Who at this forum would evaluate this product?

Dave HAL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.