Software white labeling

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Georgeo, Oct 13, 2014.

1. Georgeo

Georgeo Registered Member

I am thinking of buying an antivirus white label and I just want to know if anyone has any experience, thoughts, or recommendations on this subject. Any comments are appreciated.

Thanks,
    George

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

What do you mean by white label? Or do you mean white listing of apps?

3. guest

guest Guest

Seeing this thread makes me want to play DOJ now. =V

If the OP really meant about whitelisting app, the general idea is you maintain your whitelist as your computer changes. If the system changes frequently then this will make it harder to maintain and update your whitelist. Please don't rely upon the vendors' provided whitelist, it's a ridiculous idea.

4. Carver

Carver Registered Member

It"s a good idea to read and edit the white list like in noscript or exception's in a Anti-virus (which is a form of a white list because your allowing exceptions to the rule that all files are scanned).

5. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I think he means a rebranded product, like the AV sold under a different name by a different company.

6. Carver

Carver Registered Member

7. Georgeo

Georgeo Registered Member

Sorry to cause confusion but I was referring to a re-branded product like SirDrexl mentioned. I was looking up some companies and I found one called ShieldApps that re-brands antiviruses as well as some other software, has anyone heard anything about it?

8. Rules of white labeling (in general)

1. Transparency
    In the end people will find out it is a re-branded product, so better be transparent about it from the start

2. Comparative worth
    When you want to use it commercially, the worth/value compared with the real deal (the original product) has to be evident, easy to communicate, trailed/tried without risks, easy to use.

3. Brand value
    A white label is often used to build your own brand, so you should be allowed to use the name and the name should be a premium brand.

4. Tied value
    The white labelling should provide you with an entry in a market which you coudl not enter yourself based on the added value of your other services/products. Hence the tied value (of the white label combined with your service/product) should again be evident, easy to communicate, trailed/tried without risks, easy to use.

5. Market entry threshold
    The company/product you select to partner with should have some sort of threshold/reason to NOT enter the markets you target yourself (could be legislation/smaller size/localisation/etc).

9. guest

guest Guest

I should've checked the definition before, the dictionary is only 2 seconds away.

Honestly, no, I've never heard of them.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.