Software We Use But Hate

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by vasa1, May 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That's true... I do remember once upon a time having to use an Adobe pdf editor that was just terrible in a work environment. Haha... :)

2. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

The applications mentioned in the article that I have are IE, FF, Office, Install shield and add/remove. Of those, I hate Install shield which I hate as much as anything can be hated, I don't hate any of the others that I have and actually, I love Firefox.

Getting rid of Real player and Quicktime felt great but I felt like Joe Montana after winning Super Bowl XVI when I cleaned my PC of all plugins, Java and active x that I did not use. At the end, I ended up with only one plugin, flash for Firefox. It felt great to look at my plugins list in Firefox and only see Flash when only a few days early, I had about 13 things in there that I never used.

Quitting using real time antiviruses tops everything. I hated "upgrading" to newer versions that actually were not better but buggy. For example, going from Avira9 to Avira10 or MSE1 to MSE2. The day MSE2 came out, I stopped using AV.

Bo

3. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Re. Flash, if people would ask those who upload videos to use an open source format the need for Flash would die off more quickly. Yesterday, I disabled all plug-ins and spent time at YouTube using Firefox. The ratio of videos that played using the built-in WebM "player" weren't too many. Some that didn't play were videos relating to Linux.

4. guest

guest Guest

You should try MSE4. It's really way better.

5. bo elam

bo elam Registered Member

Hey Vasa, I tried the HTML5 thing but honestly, I prefer Flash. When I go to Youtube now, the first thing that I do is join/leave the trial. When using HTML5, videos don't play well in my computer and sometimes they freeze. As it is now, I don't like it and rather use Flash.

Peter Pan, once you stop using a real time AV, is hard to go back to them. If I was to use one again, it would make me restless, nervous but its good to hear that MSE is getting better.

Bo

6. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

Greetings, Bo!
    It makes sense for you to continue using Flash. I've not had a problem so far with HTML5 on Firefox or Chrome and on both I've disabled the Flash plug-in(s). I'm keeping a third browser, Seamonkey, to view videos that aren't available in HTML5.

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I generally never use software I hate. However at work I use the accounting software MYOB from time to time (and I used to use it daily) and it is in all honestly one of the worst pieces of software I have ever used. From my extremly brief usage of QuickBooks I would say that it is at least in my opinion infinitely superior to MYOB.

There's just one more addition: OS X (the operating system on Macs). While Windows gets a lot of flack about being a bad OS, I like it, and it is a pleasure to use compared to OS X. I find Windows to be way more intuitive and logical to use, and it seems to me a lot more thought has gone into designing Windows than OS X. Thankfully it is very rare that I have to use a Mac.

8. Tsast42

Tsast42 Registered Member

That is a very unusual view - good to read :D

9. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Once support for Windows 7 ends, I will start to learn to use Linux. (I will start with the easy one though), :D

10. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

The one which caused me a lot of issues was HP printer software. It was a few years ago and I swear the install was nearly as big as Windows (well almost!) The printer wouldn't work unless all the software was installed from the disc.

It wanted to be involved in everything that was done on the machine. I hated it with a passion.

11. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Yeah, it's one step away from rogueware IMO!

12. d0t

d0t Registered Member

iTunes gotta be the top 1. Slow as hell and lots of bugs.

13. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Internet Explorer ! I use it only for manual security updates, but it's invasive, when I launch it works before and on any other applications I'm using, it takes precedence. :mad:

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

The Windows version yes. But the Mac version was great when I tried it.

15. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I used iTunes with my iPad before iCloud was rolled out. I absolutely hated iTunes. I never could understand how a company that could make such beautiful hardware could design such a mess of software as iTunes. I was so happy to purge it from my computer.

RealPlayer. Oh, yes. I hated that with a passion. I use the alternative for .rm mentioned in another post. Same for....

Quicktime! Resource hog and takes forever and a day for a video to begin. I use Quicktime Alternative and play RM and QT files in Media Player Classic.

Remember the old Adobe software? I hated it but used it because there was nothing else. Thankfully, alternatives came around and I dumped Adobe.

Secunia does a great job, but I hate the UI and complicated navigation. Can't argue with free for such a valuable service. So, yes, I still use it and appreciate it.

Windows? Not me. Windows 7 is as steady as she goes. I have learned to love a Windows OS (never did before).

16. - Wine. 'Nuff said.

- Every word processor ever, on every platform ever. They're either too bloated, too minimal, or too limited in terms of format compatibility.

Flash was in there too until recently, but HTML5 killed it for me.

17. SirDrexl

SirDrexl Registered Member

I disagree with them about Installshield. Yes, I really do want to know where something is being installed, especially if it's a big game that I want on my hard drive instead of my SSD. Or, maybe it's something that I want to install outside of one of the Program Files folders, so I don't run into problems with write permissions (certain games with mods, for instance).

Also, certain programs come bundled with toolbars and other stuff, and I don't want them piggybacking on the installation if I can help it. I always select the custom installation. I really don't see the gripe, because if you select express, it will do the rest with no questions asked (except for a UAC prompt, which isn't really due to Installshield).

And as for that Add/Remove Programs complaint, if all that stuff wasn't listed, people would complain that they can't figure out how to remove this or that. Even those updates should be there, as occasionally they have caused problems on certain systems. However, I think it could be a bit better organized, such as having a separate section for updates only.

18. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

wait till version 3 comes out. The new ui is better. You could try beta version 3 in the meantime though.

19. tej

tej Registered Member

I hate Microsoft Word with passion.

20. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

Me too. I hate all Office versions over 2003.

21. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

Me three. In fact, so much so that I regularly use a PortableApps OpenOffice version even at work.

22. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

well easy

1- Windows media Player
    2- my college software Really sucks

23. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

OMG I feel the same way. None of them make any sense.

24. vasa1

vasa1 Registered Member

I wonder what that means.

25. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Have you tried Kingsoft Office? :D. It's only 50 mb download and compatible with MS Office.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.