Software Vendors Beware! You are doing yourselves in.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Feb 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

And dont blame the consumers.

I hinted in a thread about all the free alternatives flooding the marketplace, and the reality of, that most are good if not better then most paid security products. Where is all this heading? I mean as I said, as of today I have no doubt I will ever spend money on another security product again based on the free ones out there. I can create free combos that would blow the best suites away in protection.

But, this isnt the way it is suppose to be. So why are you doing this to yourselves. You are making it harder to improve on the paid products, and the reality is, they have actually gotten worse. There is something really wrong with this picture.

2. ChicknDip

ChicknDip Registered Member

This is perfectly normal since shareware vendors aim for sales, and therefor they have to keep adding useless bells & whistles till eternity to keep the crowd interested. OTOH, freeware authors spend their time refining and making their tools bugfree.

3. Ilya Rabinovich

Ilya Rabinovich Developer

As a shareware author, I can't agree with your opinion. I can say only for myself, all the letters below is a strongly IMHO.

If you make a software, there are three options for you: make is shareware, make it free and make it open-source. The last two cases do not allow you to work full time under the code of the program- you have to have your day job that takes a lot of your time and energy. I know- I came through it by myself. Also, there are a lot of freeware and open-source projects that are abandoned by their authors. Open-source projects has one more negative side- everyone can write a code, and you can not check if it is suitable or not (especially, with OS-dependent security software code).

In case of the shareware model- if the software sells, it gives you a great possibility to make it your day job and spend all your days with refining and making the tool bugfree. But yes, advertisement is very important here- how else you can say everybody in this world "hello! there is a good tool right here for your choice"?

4. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Well, I guess it is most of the wait and see scenarios.

5. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Though getting your name and products in front of potential users and customers is extremely important, especially if your organization is not yet large enough to support traditional advertising, you also should consider the "urgency of now" as another motivation.

If your product or products solve issues that have relevance to an extremely large potential user-base, the freeware option can provide a means to acheive quick acceptance and adoption of said solutions.

So in this you have both affordable advertising and brand building while providing a needed public service.

Mike

6. jrmhng

jrmhng Registered Member

There was a similar conversation before in the thread on who buys security software. There are lots of reasons why vendors who release freeware versions; marketing, creating a honeypot etc

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Actually I think you are right. It was me and this is pretty much a duplicate to that one. I apologize and this can be closed if the mods wish. Thanks huangker.:)

8. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I can only say that, who doesn´t like a free lunch? Don´t you just love all these free security tools? I really hate having to pay for security software, and software in general. On the other hand, I also realize that the developers must make money in order for the product to survive. Just look at what happened to Neoava Guard, my favorite HIPS. Arman simply didn´t make any money, so now the project is dead.

Currently I´m on the point that I´m willing to pay for real quality tools (it must not be too expensive!), but until then I will continue to enjoy using my completely free security setup. :argh:

9. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

You are absolutely right. That's why when you have a good product with fantastic support like for exemple, DefenseWall (and if the product meets your needs) I did not even hesitate to buy a license.:)

10. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I totally agree. Thats why i now i have licences for selected security software, some i could have used for free but i wanted to support the developer.

11. Threedog

Threedog Registered Member

I am the same way. If I trial something and it works out good for me I definately will buy it instead of using a free version. Like Superantispyware for example. The free works good and would suffice but I like the product and the company so why not support them.

I do like 30 day trials though so you can give something a good workout and have time to make a decision. I recently bought one security app that didn't have a trial but people said it was good but after having it for less than a month I realise that I should have gone with their other app or something else.

12. Stem

Stem Firewall Expert

I do like the fact that there are quite a number of "free" security applications, as this not only protects those who cannot afford (or simply do not want to pay for) security, but also helps prevent the spred of bots etc, which in the end, helps us all.

I am one who supports vendors, I do make quite a number of license purchases, but personally have no problem with whatever (paid or free) direction others take. (IMHO of course)

13. muf

muf Registered Member

I think they are way overpriced. If they reduced the price to approximately $10 then they'd sell a lot more licences. Yeah sure the author would not make as much money on each sale but I believe anyone trialling a software and they like it and plan to purchase it will be put off by a price tag of $30 or $40. They'd probably think "yeah i like it, but not THAT much!". Uninstall and find something else cheaper or for free. If they were $10 they would be more likely to spend a smaller amount as it doesn't hurt the pocket anywhere near as much. Isn't Prevx about $12 for a year? Nobody likes expensive stuff, except the rich and even some of them are tighter than a tight thing in a tight place!

I do own a lot of licences and i've paid those $30 and $40 price tags. But I'm in the minority. It's the majority that rules, and I believe they use free because they feel paid are overpriced. Rightly or wrongly, I'm sure they think they are overpriced. And I agree.

muf

14. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

It's a gamble of marketing for the developers. But I agree that income is something you need to continue. $10 or $30. As like the posts above, I like to support than getting a free version.

15. Ilya Rabinovich

This case, people start think that it is something cheap staff and crappy and won't buy at all! It is just a question of consumer's psychology, nothing more. You will be surprised, but the shareware software's cost is based on a 'good practices of the price corridors', nothing more.

16. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Ilya, good points but,I think all software sold in todays market shoud automatically include usage on 2 computers. I think there should be be discounts for all renewals. I think that is you give a freebie away to entice new customers you better not forget your paying ones.

It use to be the free market was nothing more then software that was full of crap. This isnt so anymore and it keeps changing in the favor of the consumer. As I said, I would not hesitate to create a free setup to compete with a paid one. Also all you high priced suites better start re-thinking your cost setups. People are tired of paying XXX dollars each year to renew this and XXXX to renew that. Times are changing.

I would say the prefered way is a one time fee. But we saw what it did to BoClean unfortunatly. Others are still trying it and I think it will work as time goes by. But the yearly renewal fee better bring with it something worthwhile or people are going to cut back. Times are hard everywhere.

17. greenhorn113

greenhorn113 Registered Member

I am firmly in the camp that If I trial something and think it works and like it have no hesitation in buying a license to either get the additional features not available in free versions or to support the vendor.:)

18. trjam

trjam Registered Member

But there is a big difference in a trial and a freebie. I agree, I want to trial it before I buy. I really will like testing AVGs new suite when it is out. But the freebies that have no end are the ones that have grown in perfection and hurt the marketplace in the end. Hell, some are shooting themselves in the foot because of this. PC Tools had to lower the cost of Threatfire because the freebie was so good. Even lowering the price of the paid hasnt helped from what I am told.

19. WilliamP

WilliamP Registered Member

I don't mind paying for a program that I feel does a good job. I have dropped some that I paid for to get a free one that I felt was better. And I have paid for some that I could replace with free ones but I feel that I got what I paid for. Support is very important. There are a few with great support and those fellows should be able to SUPPORT themselves.

20. Ilya Rabinovich

A lot of the people here, in Russia have only one computer- I don't know the situation in other, 'gold billion' countries. But, if to think from the point of view of the 'one computer' customer: "OK, this staff costs XXX for two computers license. But I have only one computer. Why I should pay those XXX, it is not really fair for me!". I just always try to think from the different angles.

I do exactly this way.

21. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Normally I believe We get what We pay for but In many cases for software it is just not worth there over priced products.Just look at some of the free alternatives that are on par or better then the paid for and this indeed should be a wake up call for many vendors to either lower prices or justify the cost of there expensive products.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Ilya, I wasnt questioning you or your software. I have the utmost respect for you. But more nations are going to 2 computer households and, the "gold billion" reference is really a cheap shot coming from someone of your statue.''

What it says to me is your marketing stratagy revolves around Russia and not globally.

23. Ilya Rabinovich

I can't agree- I have no marketing strategy for Russia at all. :D
    But OK, I'm sitting here and can't know everything all around the world. That is why I'm asking- to clarify everything for myself. The more information I have the more I can understand the world around.

BTW, lets back to the 2 householder's computers. Yes, it is possible to make a special "2 licenses" pack. Is that what you mean or, maybe, volume discounts right from the 2 licenses?

24. trjam

trjam Registered Member

well, thats a good one. I dont know much beyond the boundary of my yard.;)

From a consumers side, they would say that any license should be able to be activated on 2 computers. 3-5 at a discount.

From a vendors viewpoint, I would say buy 1 get 1 half price off.

So that is my 2 cents and again, I commend you for listening.:thumb:

25. Miyagi

Miyagi Registered Member

Easy!! - You can check competitors website to see what they offer. ;) BTW Ilya, I am trialing your product right now and like it so far. Will be joining your forum soon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.