Software testing

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by rendez2k, Aug 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rendez2k

rendez2k Registered Member

I know this has been mentioned a thousand times before, but what is currently the best package to test software that needs a re-boot on Windows 7 x64?

I have Shadow Protect 4, but to take an image and restore it would take around 40 mins! Anything good thats quicker?

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Since you use windows, this solution would require the purchase of another license but it works very well - http://www.virtualbox.org/

3. rendez2k

You mean take an image of Windows and run it as a VM? Guess I could do that but wondered if there was something more instant that would work with my hardware.

The licence issue is also a potential problem. I have SP4 that will quickly turn an image into a VirtualBox machine but I guess my Windows licence won't be happy with that?

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

5. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

If you partitioned your drive, you should be able to have the OS and programs within 20-25 GB. This size on my computer usually restores between 7-9 minutes which is usually the time for a coffee.

Reading your other post you probably have a fast desktop which would probably perform this operation in 5 minutes.

6. rendez2k

Good idea! Just moving my 75gb of Steam and iTunes files.....

7. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

From the moment i acquired good old FDISR,anything new on my disk incl. MS updates are controlled be it.
    But sorry boys its not alive anymore in its original incarnation so the mentioned options in other posts i hope will fit most people at the moment.

SP using it from CD only gives me another way to recover from disaster or to get rid of the tested software.

8. Sadeghi85

Sadeghi85 Registered Member

I use TeraByte bundle. Using BING, I created a 'test' partition and a restore boot item with the help of this whitepaper so I can boot into freedos and the test partition will be automatically restored for another testing session, it only takes 3.5 minutes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.