Software suggestions for Laptop please

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Huwge, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Huwge

Huwge Registered Member

My daughter is off to University soon.

I will be installing NOD32 AV but I am looking for suggestions for what to accompany it with.

I am looking to use the Windows FW (W7 64 bit)

I will probably have to let her have admin rights as I believe she will need to install software ( I doubt that she will bother to log into her limited account at other times)

She is generally pretty switched on as to not opening strange emails and is a safe surfer, but you never know when she is all alone away from home :rolleyes:

I am thinking something without loads of popups as she will probably not read and interpret them properly.

Maybe Prevx Free, or realtime antispyware?

All suggestions gratefully accepted

Thanks in advance

2. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

As you have made up your mind on using nod.. keyscrambler free for scrambling data.. online armor free--- firewall + HIPS.. and just for rare scenario maybe just keep mbam free (ondemand):thumb:

3. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

DefenseWall, Geswall or Returnil will protect the ones you love without you having to worry about their computer safety to much.
    Surviving malware will be much easier to deal with.

4. guest

guest Guest

Comodo Firewall + Sandbox + D+ (No AV) Free
    Nod 32
    Immunet Free (If you want to add more protection)

On demand:
    MBAM Free
    Emsisoft Anti-Malware 5.0 (with the free license you can use it as an on demand scanner.)

Thats all.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 15, 2010
  5. iravgupta

iravgupta Registered Member

Put EMET and set for max protection.

6. Baserk

Baserk Registered Member

I'd recommend OA free also.
    Set internet facing apps as "run safer" and instruct her on how to use 'training mode' for new installs.
    Complemented with free Prevx, that combination should suffice for a safe surfer.

You could also just make a user account and teach her on how to enter her admin password when installing stuff.

If you setup a user account with a nice wallpaper, perhaps a dock and/or some usefull widgets, a lot of folks will stay away from the 'boring' admin account (with just a blue background). Benevolent conditioning ;)

7. Kevin523

Kevin523 Registered Member

I often wonder if HIPs programs are really required if one is a safe and smart PC user. For example - I use Defender Pro - which is a rebadged version of Bitdefender IS 2010 (Bitdefender has granted them a license to use their engine). I use this program for antivirus and firewall and antispyware. Then in addition I use SUPERAntispyware PRO. This has always seemed to suffice. Perhaps instead of SUPERAntispyware Pro one can use Immunet Protect? It seems like this product has been getting better and better.

8. codylucas16

codylucas16 Registered Member

I'd set up some way to run the browser with reduced rights. She may be a safe surfer but many malicious sites cloak themselves as legitimate sites that will perform drive-by's. Good examples of this are: DropMyRights, Sandboxie or Online Armor's Run Safer Option.

Also, install Web Of Trust on her browser. This will just let her know if she visits any less-than-reputable websites so she keeps safe.

Other than that just make sure she knows how to defrag her system every few weeks and use On-Demand scanners once a month or so ( Super Anti-Spyware/Emsisoft Anti-Malware Free) and she will be fine.

9. philby

philby Registered Member

I would suggest Returnil Free:

Protect C:\ (with or without AV/AE components)
    Save to D:\ (or USB/EHD)
    Don't let peers put their USB sticks where they shouldn't
    Reboot often!

philby

10. ParadigmShift

ParadigmShift Registered Member

Try to change her mind. Have her use the Limited User Account exclusively for the Internet.

~ Use the Chromium browser, disable Plugins, Java and JavaScript. (enable per site)

~ If it's Windows 7 Pro, enable Software Restriction Policies.

She'll be fine.

11. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

+1 Philby

The least amount of work for the most return on investment.

Reboot and restore app or DW type app
    Firewall
    Backup imaging

Should protect 99% from malware.

12. begemot64

begemot64 Registered Member

Is your daughter a regular teenage computer user?

If so, don't bother with limited account - it'll drive her nuts. In fact any security program that gives too many pop-ups or requires much user interaction won't work well. Silent HIPS such as Defensewall would probably work, but it's not for x64.

Get NIS2011 - it's automated, so she won't have to touch anything, has great protection, and is very light on system resources. The new Sonar with Insight is very effective, and unless she spends a lot of time in the very darkest corners of the internet downloading malware in very large bulk, her chances of becoming infected are very very low.

If you're going to do that in the UK, buy NIS2010, not NIS2011, as the subscription is still valid for all versions (you just download the new installer and voila). NIS2010 can be bought in the UK for £13, from a reputable retailer (1 year license) - great bargain. On various test machines I use Defensewall, other various HIPS (OA, Comodo, MD), some with SRP and LUA, and several antiviruses for testing. I have no worries when running NIS on its own on my main machine - it's by far the lightest (and the most automated) solution for a perfectly acceptable level of risk.

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if you are running microsoft IE browser just restrict the browser from downloading files from the browser by doing this simple registry tweak:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Zones\3then find line 1806 and right click to it and modify it's value to 3 insted of 1

with this tweaks and nod antivirus is more than enough and to disable usb devise:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\policies\Explorer\NoDriveTypeAutorun change the value to b5

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  14. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

+1
    If not Returnil free then have something like Comodo Time Machine. Have something easy, efficient and quick for restore if needed. I think you get that better with Returnil free but Time Machine may be ok too.

15. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Having seen friends who used some of the top AVs get infected with a rogue, I am persuaded that you need MBAM to run full time. I had rather intercept and block than clean.
    Regards,
    Jerry

16. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

JerryM good advise man;) and very true,almost all the antivirus software missed this type of malware man so mbam pro is a must here;)

17. Creer

Creer Registered Member

I don't use MBAM PRO and I don't think it's a must have software since there is no (based-on blacklist mechanism) software which will offer you better protection level than default deny policy.
    Remember about 3 most important layers of protection (in order):
    1. Prevention
    2. Detection
    3. Cure

:thumb:

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Mbam Pro has black list of malicious websites/ips and evil programs too and it's detection is way stronger than Super Man him self;) just add a good antivirus as nod32 and some registry tweaks and booyaa:D

19. moontan

moontan Registered Member

why not just use Windows own System Restore or Windows 7 own System Image if push comes to shove instead of installing yet another app?

20. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i use it's own windows restore it's self;) it works good for me:thumb:

21. Hugger

Hugger Registered Member

You could use NIS 2011 or MSE(free), Sandboxie, MBAM Free, Hitman Pro free.
    Don't forget back up and imaging programs.
    What I did with my family was to handcuff them to a chair and have them look at the different software with me. Give them choices and see what seems easier for them to use.
    Hugger

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

LoL Hugger i tried some thing similar but they told me to get rid off almost all the software i had installed:D they like PeGuard and comodo;) that's all i can say and they dont want me to even mention the name malware defender:argh: you got my point:D

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

For me it would be the time required to restore. I had rather prevent than clean.
    Regards,
    Jerry

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

Prevention is always better than the Cure;)

25. hckyo

hckyo Registered Member

All the girls that I know want something easy to handle, install sandbox, returnil, time machine or very complex stuff, at the end will frustrate her XD ...

Just install a good AV ( Nod32, Avira, f-secure .. other) to have realtime protection..
    a good firewall like OA with HIPS a good extra layer
    Firefox with adblock and noscript, and add spyware blaster or spybot Search & destory, and thats enough

I dont think she will need to use more protection :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.