Software Scan That HUNTS Down Virus and Destroys

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by simdarhan, Jul 24, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. simdarhan

simdarhan Registered Member

Maybe someone out there can help me. I understand that most virus scanners, like Norton, only search for the virus names listed in the Definition List, correct.

I understand that there is a Virus HUNTER software that actually destroys the virus before the virus can change it's name. There is one by Linus (I think that is the name). My PC Tech said that particular software was to complex for a newbie like me.

Surely there are others that HUNT down and Kill. Any suggestions would surely be appreciated.

2. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

That's not entirely correct. Yes, antivirus software does use what are called definitions; those are what I believe you are refering to. However good antivirus software also uses what is called hueristics which enable the software to identify threats that are not a part of its definition base. This identifies threats based on characteristics and not definition. Antivirus products such as NOD32, Dr Web and to perhaps a lesser extent VBA32 are believed to have the best available hueristics. NOD32 consistantly shows that it is the best in that area. Others such as kaspersky rely more heavily on definitions that NOD, which relies more heavily on hueristics. I believe this is what your PC tech was refering to.

Oh by the way, it sounds like your tech person is trying to scare you off and in doing so he is making sure you return to him with every need. You don't need to. The people here at Wilders are glad to help whenever possible.

Nate

Last edited: Jul 25, 2006
  3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

nod32 has good heristic detection. but kaspersky updates like 16-24 times a day and soon kaspersky will have a new heristic engine

4. dog

dog Guest

simdarhan, I hope you aren't referring to this software -> http://www.edbott.com/weblog/archives/000496.html

I'm not sure where you're getting the Linus name from ... the only one I know of is Linus Torvalds.

I think you got your story either a little mixed up or you're just getting some strange advice ... I suggest you ask this 'tech' you spoke with and get a clarification ... and hopefully we can assist you further from there in regards to his advice.

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Well for starters i'm already confused with the "I understand that most virus scanners, like Norton, only search for the virus names listed in the Definition List, correct." part... :eek:

6. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

Im wondering if he's talking about trojan hunter?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.