Software Restriction Policy - File types question

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Rasheed187, Aug 6, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Is it safe to block .inf and .scf files from executing? I mean I´m afraid that my OS won´t boot up or something when messing with these files. :rolleyes:

2. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Inf files are needed for installing drivers, etc. and so far needed by your system. I don't block them as they are no executable files but text files.
    Scr are screensaver files which often cover Trojans. If you want to feel save and don't run Screensavers, block theme.

3. Rasheed187

OK thanks for the feedback, however I´m not talking about SCR files, but SCF files, it´s probably best not to execute such a file when downloaded from an untrusted source I guess. But I don´t know if the OS executes these files during startup.

4. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Oh my god, i have to ask my opticer what he is doing profesional :)
    scf of the windows system?
    It is a command used by Windows Explorer; for example, to move up or down a directory or show the Desktop; run via Internet Explorer, etc. I don't know if you can block them without limitating the funcionality of your system. By the way the only system default program which can open scf files is the Internet Explorer.

5. Rasheed187

LOL :D

But thanks for the feedback. If I had a copy of XP Pro I could have tested it in VMware, but I don´t. It´s a shame that PC makers do not ship a cd with the OS anymore. It´s also a shame that XP Pro costs 408 euro. :blink:

6. Tommy

Tommy Registered Member

Yes, that's a pane in the a..... I have a Vaio Laptop also without any OS-CD. The laptop comes with a secure/hidden setup partition, steeling me 5GB :( But won't help and work if you system crashes total.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.