Software informer.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by The Red Moon, Jan 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

Yesterday i installed process lasso and it offered to install software informer.
    Any ideas what this is and what it does.?
    I didnt install it but im still a bit concerned about having this program installed as it used a wrapper to install with.
    Any comments on this please and is process lasso and its author something to worry about.
    Thanks.:)

2. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

3. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

4. kyuzo

kyuzo Registered Member

I had Software Informer (horrible name- it implies spying...) pop up for the first time during a GOTD install a few days ago. I speak only for my PERSONAL bias, but the idea of a program gathering information on what programs I have installed and then (perhaps) reporting it to a third party bothers me. It seems to me that this would be an ideal component for allowing the software makers who use GOTD to assess what programs GOTD clients use. Paranoia, perhaps, but just a thought- and as I said the program's name doesn't help dispell the idea. The installer is confusing- when the dialogue box comes up you don't know whether cancelling the Informer install will cancel the GOTD offering as well. My two posts concerning the problems I had with the install were deleted by moderators. I have no idea why.

This new bundling, coupled with the problems I had with the new GOTD "wrapper" (using Thermida to secure the install apparently triggered my Norton SONAR which deactivated the install process- according to other posts I was not the only user having issues ) has made me forego any further GOTD offerings. I've had good luck with them in the past (as late as August 2012), but I've personally decided to try other sites.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2013
  5. Victek

Victek Registered Member

The reason they deleted your posts is simple; they are not willing to tolerate anything critical about how they run their site. For instance a number of times recently they have offered software which is always free, not free for one day. My posts pointing this out were removed. They sometimes host very good software, but you just have to be aware of the games they play and take precautions when necessary.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.