Software for Windows 7

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Howard Kaikow, Dec 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Howard Kaikow

Howard Kaikow Registered Member

I do not yet know what is built into Windiws 7.

Seems that the following are desired:

PDF creation
    Acrobat Reader
    Open Office or MSFT Office
    Image backup (True Image or Paragon, which is better?)
    Firefox
    Thunderbird
    Internet Security (Kaspersky)
    ZIP/unzip
    Defrag software
    fax software (Is there any for Win 7?)
    Partition manager
    CD/DVD recording
    Registry Workshop

Suggestions?

2. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Gizmos Freeware Reviews is a nice start.

Also Windows 7 Forums is one of the best forums for anything related to Windows7!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  3. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Gizmo's site is not near as good as it used to be. When Gizmo ran the site he usually just recommended true freeware. Now many of the new mods there make recommendations of software that contain adware or scareware or known for persistent spam email. And most positive feedback about any program other than some mod's recommended ones are often met with smart alec remark or even a group of mods with smart alec remarks. I used to visit the site frequently but rarely go there anymore.

4. mistycat

mistycat Registered Member

Some freebies you can look over; I've used ATI since version 7 and now 2011 and while it works (fairly bloated too) it's making Paragon (or any other) look awfully good. Anyway, here's a review for free programs: http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm Avira or Avast work well on W7 and both are light with excellent detection, Avira popup can be disabled, Easeus has a good partition program, Ashampoo has a good CD/DVD program but lookout out for the toolbar offered in install and they love sending email offers: http://www.snapfiles.com/get/burningstudiofree.html and I think Burning Studio 2010 Advanced is around somewhere. Any number of free defraggers available but I like Ultimate Defragmenter (not free).

5. Warlockz

HMN? I have yet to run into anything as you described, who knows maby im missing something? when one posts such acusations they should at least provide some kind of proof?

6. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Do TSA Mods ssupport specific freeware? o_O
    Why have they systematically ignored the Best Free Defragmentation Tool (= Puran Defrag)? o_O
    Frequently, when posters suggest other freeware, TSA Mods are Sarcastic, Rude etc.:thumbd:
    With Ian Richards (Gizmo), TSA was a good place; not any more...:thumbd:

7. mrpink

mrpink Registered Member

Well, the best defragmenter category is signed by site.editor, which means that is currently without an editor to update it. Why don't you go over there and take over to help them out, instead of making accusations?
    I visit the site on a daily basis, i'm a member there and i don't see the sarcastic and rude behavior that you're talking about. At least give an example

8. deadmeat

deadmeat Registered Member

Since the site was formed, Gizmos Freeware has enjoyed remarkable growth at a level most commercial sites would kill for. This is not an opinion but fact as illustrated by the Alexa stats. Inclusion in the PC Mag top 100 sites was some extra recognition of just how far we've come. Not exactly the trend for an unpopular or badly managed site :)

The only content change forced by all this is the inclusion of some low key ads in attempt to cover ever increasing server and hardware costs.

Like all websites there is also a need for rules to cover the material posted by members and anonymous posters, the latter being a unique feature of Gizmos. The rules are not written by the mods but approved by Gizmo himself in response to the needs of the site and implemented in accordance with a managed policy.

Puran in particular was the subject of a concerted spam attack, so much so that the editor lost interest in even reviewing it. This is the price you pay for not following the rules. Our volunteers spend hours of their time removing this garbage from the site and other products following a similar path can expect the same treatment.

MidnightCowboy, the site manager will always respond to PM's about any subject including site policy but don't expect the same consideration to anonymous rantings just because your favorite product doesn't feature in a review.

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Midnight Cowboy needs to develop some social skills - he is very rude and egotistical. Any disagreement with his particular "favorite" is met with some childish remark.

10. whitedragon551

whitedragon551 Registered Member

First thing is first. Scratch Adobe Reader. You can find a free PDF creator and viewer. CutePDF is an excellent example. If you want seperate apps for reading and creating PDFs check into PrimoPDF for creating, and FoxIt for reading.

Open Office is a good choice.

Image backup there are alot of free options as well. Active@, Image for Windows, Macrium Reflect, etc. Even the built in Windows backup is a good option.

For email readers I use eMClient. Lots of good information here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=270349&highlight=email+client

For Internet Security thats really what suites you best.

Zip/Unzip you can check out 7Zip or PeaZip and if you want to spend money WinRar hands down is the best.

For defrag I use Puran Free. It has the same exact options as the paid version.

Partion management can be done from within Windows or Easus is always having giveaways for their partition manager.

As for CD burning there are 2 top options on the market as far as Im concerned. ImgBurn and Burn Aware Free.

11. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Is that so? So much for your No1. Free Defrag Tool (Auslogics): HERE HERE, and HERE.

Many former members could not suffer the Sarcastic and Rude attitude of Midnight Cowboy, Anupam etc.
    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
    No, thanks. Never again! :thumbd:
    :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  12. Warlockz

I think a mod should delete all of the off topic posts in this thread, this thread is about software for windows 7, not but hurt former Gizmos users who got mad because the site didn't add their favorite little software to their lists!

I have never had a problem with Gizmos period and I will continue to use the site regardless of all the haters.

13. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

-It is Not about going mad, because TSA didn't add Puran etc.
    What happened with Puran had happened before with other software, too!
    For example, after attacking KMPlayer-related posts (in favor of VLC...),
    they finally put KMPlayer as their No1. Media Player.
    And the list of incidents, like Puran and KMPlayer, is endless...:thumbd:

-It is about the Arrogant Attitude of some TSA "experts" who attack whoever questions their "expertise". :thumbd:

I hope the entire 'TSA-Fanboy' Army will not stop by here and start doing what they do there
    (i.e. attack whoever challenges their "recommendations")! :thumbd:

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.