Software for "which language?"

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I seek a software where I can enter a word in a foreign language, & the program will tell me WHICH language the word is from. Is there such a program?

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Sure. Lextek Language Identifier or Polyglot 3000 might fit - you'll have to check for yourself.

3. Az7

Az7 Registered Member

4. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Keep in mind that quite a few words are the same (spelling, and usually meaning) in different languages, especially if the languages are geographically or culturally related. I've never had occasion to use either of the apps mentioned, but it's a fair guess that they'll often give you a list of possible language-sources. A phrase, or better yet a full sentence (assuming the apps can handle those), would probably pin down the identity more precisely.

Almost entirely off-topic (other than relating to languages), can someone briefly explain to me why, historically or otherwise, Finnish and Magyar ("Hungarian") are so similar, considering their geographic separation? Just curious.

5. nfgxon

nfgxon Registered Member

Almost entirely off-topic (other than relating to languages), can someone briefly explain to me why, historically or otherwise, Finnish and Magyar ("Hungarian") are so similar, considering their geographic separation? Just curious.[/QUOTE]

Have a look here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finno-Ugric_languages

6. swami

swami Registered Member

7. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Thanks for the link, both of you. :) I haven't yet checked it out, but I was sure there was a perfectly good reason ... European history, with the occasional exception of relatively modern northwest Europe, tends to be skimmed over or even ignored entirely in American high schools (I grew up in New York).

8. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Ployglot3000 is excellent. Lextek is non-free but has an online demo which does NOT work at all. Google was unable to determine origins for 4 of the 5 words I threw at it.

Polyglot3000 does the job! :thumb:

9. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Good - your blessing accepted.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.