Software for converting a DVD to AVI

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by xMarkx, Feb 26, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

I have 2-3 hours of skating recorded from the TV on a DVD. I need to put a few minutes of that into Windows Movie Maker for my friend's project. When I open the folder on the DVD on the computer, I see 10 files: 6 are .vob, 2 are .bup and 2 are .ifo.

I am wondering what is the safest and cheapest way of getting this DVD into a format that Windows Movie Maker will accept (eg: AVI).

I've come across Daniusoft DVD ripper and Prism Video Converter when I was searching the net for how to do this, but I'm not sure if they will work.

Also, do I need to convert all 10 files or just some? The .vob's are the biggest (300mb - 1GB each, one is 74KB) and the .bup and .ifo files are just a couple hundred KB's each so I'm guessing the contest is in the 6 .vob files so do I need the others?

Thanks!

2. culla

culla Registered Member

3. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for your quick reply. Can this program convert to .avi though? Also, how would I go about converting once I downloaded the program. Would I just convert the .vob files or would I need to convert all the files? Would each be a seperate .avi file?

Thanks,

Mark

4. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

I use this program for all my video converting. It works very well for DVD to AVI, or other video formats to AVI. I also use it to convert to a format compatible with my Cowon D2 portable mp3 player. The program itself it free and there is a portable version.

5. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

http://www.winxdvd.com/dvd-ripper/
    Get the free version of the above program (or any other free ripper...check at softpedia). Install it, run it. If your dvd has chapters you'll be able to select the chapters you want to rip(if it does not has chapters you'll have to rip the entire dvd). This way you don't have to care about the vob files or other files. And yes this can export to avi.

If you want to convert directly the vob files, which are mpeg2 files, you can use Super, free video converter http://www.erightsoft.com/SUPER.html, or any other free converter that supports the vob format. I suggest to go with the dvd ripper method.

Then you can use any software that edits or simply cuts/splits the avi, to get the parts you want from the final avi video.

6. culla

culla Registered Member

it does what the name suggests yes to avi

7. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Those programs aren't well received on SiteAdvisor, do they contain any adware?

Do I need to convert all the files or just the .vob ones?

8. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

I like AviDemux, HandBrake and avi.net. I use avidemux for most of my video conversion needs (For dvd conversion, you have to load the vob manually but it will join them automatically). Handbrake and avi.net will load the DVD as a source.

9. Espresso

Espresso Registered Member

If you use avidemux, you have to load each VTS_0X_0.VOB (X being a number representing a title) into the program. If all of the footage is joined together (not separate titles) you will only have a VTS_01_0.VOB that has to be loaded. Handbrake and avi.net will allow you to choose the title, if applicable, after you load the DVD/folder.

10. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I don't really know since I do not use Siteadvisor. I use Super really often. Last time I've used the winx dvd ripper was months ago. In any case winx is also on Softpedia, so I could say it's safe.

If you use the ripper...it'll do all the job for you. If you use a converter then you have to convert only the vob files.

11. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I tried WinX DVD Ripper and it didn't work when I converted the DVD to avi (there was no video, just sound for some reason), but it work when I converted it to wmv, which works with Windows Movie Maker. :)

However, the quality isn't all that great. The settings were on default. Are there any settings I can change to improve the quality of the video?

Thanks,

Mark

12. jonyjoe81

jonyjoe81 Registered Member

Fairuse wizard lite, your dvd file will have to be inside an ISO. For the best quality use the x264 codec and 2-pass mode.

13. Sully

Sully Registered Member

One thing I bought I think two years ago was DVDFab. I got tired of all the rippers/converters over the years, and I wanted something that was easy to convert DVD to file/cd/portable. There used to be a free version, which is where I started with. Once I used it for some time, I decided it was worth the $$ so I bought it. I have not had to look for another app like it since.

Sometimes I want to modify a dvd a little bit more and I will use DVDShrink on it to re-author it. But, that is not often.

Sul.

14. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Thanks for your suggestions everyone.

I think I might stick with WinX DVD Ripper as long as it continues to work.

However, I did try the trial version of Daniusoft DVD ripper to see if the quality would be better (which it wasn't).

But now when I try to play the original DVD in Windows Media Player, I can't get picture - I can just get sound. There's a little exclamation mark on the chapter I tried to play that says there was an unknown error. It worked before... so what happened? Did Daniusoft mess something up? What should I do?

Thanks again!

Edit: I have Windows Media Player 10

15. culla

culla Registered Member

try a restart [if that doesn't work do a system restore]
    then try the one i suggested

16. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. I restarted the computer and uninstalled the new software but that didn't work.

The original DVD that no longer works in Windows Media Player does work in PowerDVD. Therefore, there must be a codec or setting in Windows Media Player that changed which is causing this problem. Besides system restore, is there anything else I can do or any settings/codecs I change within Windows Media Player? I did not intentionally change any settings in Windows Media Player.

Thanks,

Mark

17. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

It is for sure a codec issue. You can install ffdshow to resolve codec issues.
    http://www.free-codecs.com/download/FFDshow.htm

Installing ffdshow may also help with the ripping process not producing AVIs with video but with sound only.

The quality really depends on the ripper's settings and the source of the video. I don't know what type of tv ( i mean technology...) cable, analog, digital, satellite etc. you have. In general if you have recorded something from non digital tv (source) the results are not good. Also depends on the quality you have chosen your DVR to record.

If I find the time I'll check the ripper's settings. But I cannot promise it.
    Good luck!

18. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

If you have ifo files, then you can use Auto Gordian Knot (free). It uses xvid for encoding to avi.

http://www.autogk.me.uk/

Handbrake as mentioned, should also be able to handle it.

19. xMarkx

xMarkx Registered Member

Hello,

Thanks for your reply. Would reinstalling Windows Media Player fix the issue?
    (Download it from Microsoft website and install back over the top).

Thanks,

Mark

20. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I don't really know. My opinion is that by installing some codecs the issue could be resolved. This is why I suggested ffdshow.

21. culla

culla Registered Member

if it worked before do a system restore to a time before you installed those programs that broke it
    [i don't think its a codec issue as it played before you said]

22. mvario

mvario Registered Member

23. icr

icr Registered Member

24. pandlouk

pandlouk Registered Member

@xMarkx

If you only need to extract the video/audio streams to mpeg you can use VOB2MPG

Panagiotis

25. DOSawaits

DOSawaits Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.