Software for a 6-year-old?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Dec 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

My 6-year-old granddaughter will be spending several days with my wife & me during the Christmas season. She loves playing educational games on the computer.

Therefore, I am urgently seeking software that has educational games for kids aged about 6 to 8, and would VERY much appreciate specific recommendations (with links, if possible).

aloha... bellgamin

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

3. Rmus

Rmus Exploit Analyst

My favorite educational site is

http://www.familygames.com

Check their freeware games link - it's more than just games.

The notecard program is one of the best I've ever seen in teaching the names of the notes of the music keyboard. People (adults too!) learn the keys very quickly.

-rich

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006
  4. tony62

tony62 Registered Member

Hi bellgamin,
    Tuxpaint

my daughter absolutely loves it.

5. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

Maybe MATLAB? Joking.

Paint cant be nice. Or you might even go as far as Google SketchUp. I really don't know what 6-year olds are capable of.

A sweet game that she might try is Cultures. I would say that it is quite education, since it includes raising of Viking children, all sorts of domestic jobs, and lots of interaction between your Viking characters.

Mrk

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Well, it depends on how you interpret the game. A friend of mind used a trick in the game in which he would simply marry off all the male kids to their mothers and use them for further population production. :eek: :ninja:

Its a nice game, and I doubt a six year old would be able to pick up anything bad from such kind of game, but still, its good to be aware.

Also, many games offer an option to remove the gory stuff from it, so maybe such games will help.

I would recommend games like Pharaoh, Civ City Rome, or Caesar 3/Caesar IV. While there are some difficult elements to these kinds of games, like preparing armies for defense of your city, most of the time spent playing these games simply involves building a city, and giving the citizens all they need to grow and prosper. As they prosper, your city's huts and settlements turn into large and beautiful villas. :)

Another series I could recommend is the Tycoon series of computer games. There are many types like Railroad Tycoon, Business tycoon etc., but they are mostly no brainers all involving the player to set up a sprawling enterprise with lots of profits.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Sorry for going off-topic, but there is an almost 30-year-old boy who would like Caesar IV! Was it released? How come I didn't hear about it?
    Mrk

8. Texcritter

Texcritter Registered Member

9. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

Agree 100%. Tuxpaint is the best thing there is for kids ( and grown ups!)
    There is also a bunch off additionals for it, it is an unending source of interest for children. Try it you won't be disappointed.
    P.S. It's not just a painting thing, it does lots of things!

10. cthorpe

cthorpe Registered Member

I teach computers to elementary school children. We used TuxPaint at one point to draw a self portrait. Now the kids always beg to play it again.

C

11. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I am very very grateful to all contributors. I am using Mario & Tux for now, but shall investigate the other suggestions in the near future.

I looooove Tux. My granddaughter is going to have to race me to the keyboard when she wants to use that TRULY superb program.:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.