software advice

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Aramet, Nov 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aramet

Aramet Registered Member

Thank you for the karma cookie! I'm wondering if I could get a little advice? I have Norton Antivirus, BOClean and Spybot S&D. Is there anything else I am missing? This is my first computer and I am very scared of all these trojans, viruses, spyware, etc. that I read about in the forums and want to be sure I am protected. I know there are many free programs available but also don't mind paying for these services, just want to be sure I have the proper ones. Thank you in advance for your help.

I split this topic from another one here http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=16959
    b/c I thought this particular inquiry might be best handled in this section - Detox

2. Acadia

Acadia Registered Member

Re:Info on BOClean

You've got a great start. I would also recommend SpywareBlaster and SpywareGuard, both available in this forum. BUT, first and foremost and above all else, if you are not already using a Firewall, GET ONE! Good luck.

Acadia

3. root

root Registered Member

Re:Info on BOClean

You definitely should have a firewall. I like Outpost firewall, found here. http://www.agnitum.com/products/outpost/
    Try the trial version as the free version is out of date.
    Zone Alarm is also suitable for those not too familiar with firewalls.
    http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/home.jsp
    You could try the free version of that until you see if you like it.
    I would at least try those two for a bit and see if you want to get into any more. You can get great help for Outpost at outpostfirewall.com.
    It would help to know what OS you are using and basic type of computer, as in older, newer, how much memory and CPU speed.
    Some newer programs use a bit of computing power.

You may get a lot of suggestions here about what people think is needed. Just go slow and try to get settled with one at a time or you may end up with a mess. Lot of people here with good ideas, so no need to be in a hurry - other than get a firewall installed and set up properly. That is important.

4. Aramet

Aramet Registered Member

Thank you for your quick response. In answer re: type of computer, etc. I hope this is what you want:

Compaq Presario XP-Home Edition, Ver. 2002, AMD AnthalonXP 2600+, 2.13GHz, 480MB of Ram.

Would you please explain to me what a firewall is/does. Sorry if this is a very basic question. I see the term, etc.but do not know what it is. Thank you again!

5. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Sorry about that root!

I took my post out.

Didn't notice that u had already mentioned zone labs. :p

Snowbound

6. root

root Registered Member

Ararmet, please check your PMs (top of the page).
    I'll try to help with some basic information.

No need to apologise snowbound. Easy to miss stuff and you're just trying to help. That's what's important.

Hope you like chocolate chip cookies. :D

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

ohhh yummy! :D

Thanks root

Snowbound

8. Aramet

Aramet Registered Member

I am feeling very stupid about now - I don't have a clue how to check the message? Looked in help but couldn't find info. You are dealing with a real new computer user here so please be gentle! And thank you! :'(

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hey there bud! Asking questions is the only real way to learn ;-) When you login, you should have a comment like this at the top of the page

Hey, Detox, you have 6 messages, 0 are new.

Except, it ought to have your name instead of mine :D
    and the "6 messages"; or however many you have, ought to be blue, indicating that that's a link. Click on there ;)

10. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Hi Aramet.
    Welcome to the forum.

I have XP home for an operating system too.
    The advice about using a firewall is excellent.
    XP Home does ship with an open port.
    It's port 5000,the UnPlug and Play port.

You can download and install a free,small program that will tell you if that port is open.It also allows the user to open or close the port.
    I closed that port on my computer and have seen no ill- effects from closing it.
    Here is a link for the UnPlug N' Pray program.

http://grc.com/freepopular.htm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.