Softpedia question...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by m00nbl00d, Feb 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

I saw a news article a couple days ago, and there were two comments there. The comments are moderated, so they only appear after Softpedia's staff deem them to be acceptable. But, today (maybe yesterday as well... don't really know) both comments are gone from there... o_O

The news article in question is the following: -http://news.softpedia.com/news/Dog-Sentenced-to-Death-for-Liking-His-Male-Friends-a-Tad-Too-Much-325642.shtml (People can be so stupid!)

I was actually going to comment there as well, thinking that maybe other visitors would understand better how the canine world works.

I don't recall the other two comments being offensive in anyway, precisely because comments are moderated, so not really sure why they would delete them?

I'm going to e-mail them asking what happened, but I'm wondering if you folks have ever noticed comments being deleted from their articles before, without any explanation why they were deleted (after being moderated and accepted)?

I mean, I think that they would say "Hey, something went wrong on our side, and some comments may be gone from our articles", or whatever... but...

Thanks

2. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

Well, hopefully this thread won't get shut down too, but it's probably due to the fact that we now live in a world that gets offended if a cloud blocks someones sunlight for too long. Someone could have easily groaned that the comments were anti-gay or any number of things and Softpedia just decided screw it and deleted them to avoid any mess. Or, it could have been one of the moderators got their underpants twisted and got offended themselves. I don't know, M00n, it could have been anything. I don't read Softpedia articles often enough to know whether that's a common thing or not.

3. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

This is a totally offtopic thread, lol. BTW, poor dog lol.

4. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I know, that guy should be put to sleep instead of the dog. He's using up valuable oxygen that could be used for life forms that Darwin approves of.

5. m00nbl00d

Why is it off topic? I'm not talking about dogs, despite the fact the article in question was. If that's what you meant? Or, were you meaning that talking about censorship, if that's the case, is off topic?

All I can say is that, if in fact Softpedia removed those comments after being approved, then for sure they lost one visitor. Not that it will hurt them, though. lol

6. m00nbl00d

Actually, I believe (from memory) the comments were about saying that there's no such thing as gay dogs, it's only dominance. :) Maybe someone allowed the comments to only later realize they didn't like the comments. o_O

But yes, I agree with your view. We're in a day and age where we're pretty much can talk about certain stuff. :blink:

7. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I don't know how it's off-topic either, since it really is a question of whether censorship is at play here or not. While I still say that dog owner is the worst kind of idiot and a waste of room on Earth, neither the dog nor the owner is the main subject. There is a lot of this kind of thing going on now, if something is "touchy" or offends one person out of a thousand, it's automatically a bad thing. I'm not even sure if being offensive was the reason the comments were deleted, but if they weren't then it would be nice to know what the deal is.

8. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

You mean "can't? :D But yeah, I'm scared for future generations. We're already turning into a bunch of self-entitled, overly-sensitive brats, and teaching our kids to be the same way. Maybe Softpedia is going the way many media outlets are, I don't know. It could all be just a big misunderstanding too. I won't condemn Softpedia to the pyre just yet.

9. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Softpedia used to be one of my favorite download sites but their entertainment/news features sometimes leaves much to be desired and normally borders on a Hollywood gossip column type article. I don't know if the news stories are from some sort of purchased feed or if they are contracted writers. But the news stories are definitely handled in a different manner than other write ups, such as when a staff member writes about a product with a giveaway promo. The news stories request responses, but like many sites, only positive responses are allowed to be posted. Negative responses to a story are normally censored out by a moderator. Anyway, I hope Softpedia feels these type of news stories are worth the extra traffic they generate for the site. After one such article a few weeks ago I decided not to recommend Softpedia ever again to anyone for downloads or otherwise.

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Sounds like a editor of the page is maybe heterophobic.

11. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

This and similar kind of view of the society topics are best discussed elsewhere.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.