Softpedia Exclusive Interview: BitDefender

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by CiX, Jun 8, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Article

2. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I wonder if Bitdefender will ever add realtime protection to their free offering? In the meantime it is pretty worthless.

3. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

yeah i agree.

4. gery

gery Registered Member

i do not think so otherwise it might be even better than the crappy paid one.

5. Kevin523

Kevin523 Registered Member

Why all the knocks on Bitdefender? To be honest I think a free version is not a bad idea - yes it doesn't have realtime protection but it's good for a second opinion scan and removal tool. Personally I've used Bitdefender IS 2009 and now 2010 and I love them both. I've never had issues with either besides when you say a paid version is "crappy" without an explanation then it has less credibility to your post. I like Bitdefender because it's always run stable on my machines, has great detection, and is very simple to use. Its behavior blocker has even caught some zero day malware in my experiences. :)

6. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

@Kevin523, Bitdefender is really buggy. I have faced problems like main service not responding. It plays ok when you have no other thing like Spyware Blaster, winpatrol, SAS installed. It is incompatible with all. But it's engine is very good. But has very bad support. I used Bitdefender v10 free w/0 any problems. I think that was the last stable version for me. If anyone likes it's engine, I will prefer him to go for, either, GData, Trustport or Bullguard. Right now I am using Bullguard and quite happy with it.

7. icr

icr Registered Member

I agree that the BD has one of the best detection rates and good heuristics and now even good behavior blocker. I have used all the versions of BD from 2008 to 2010 and I will be going to try the latest BETA version 2011 soon but the BD is not reliable in terms of day to day usage coz there have been cases where BD services stopped responding for me too(Not in your case then you are quite lucky;) ) the most common errors encountered is vsserv.exe would stop for no reason even the sccentre.exe(don't remember the exact name:oops: ).

They have been recently awarded an Advance+ by AV-comparatives in terms of heur detections. The only thing they require is to have a reliable product(hope they will do in 2011 version).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.