SOCKS.exe found in startup folder

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by MrGump, Oct 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

I have found a program called socks.exe in my startup and I fond out it is adware/spyware. Why did NOD32 miss this?

I erased any traces of the file that I could, I only fond a text file and I erased the startup in the regsitry. If I did not actually find the .exe does that mean it was never on the computer and NOD32 did its job?

Thank you.

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Hard to say what it was. The next time you encounter a suspicious file, submit it to ESET per these instructions.

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

A Google search for socks.exe reveals trojan horse entrie of a service ? Is this what you found on your computer - a Windows service ? How did you find it ?

What did you do with this ? How did you determine it is a malware ?

4. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

I am currently trying to trace my steps backwards and find the infected file I downloaded. FYI, I was using Newgroups.

To answer your question, I found two files in my "startup" folder and one of them had a Spider icon on it. I can not recall the other item. I determined it was dangerious because I did not recognize it and Google told me it was dangerous. I cam to ESET's forums becuase I want to know if NOD32 missed it or what.

I recently ran the Ad-Aware Plus software and this is what it found and cleaned:

Ad-Aware found "TR/AgentOff.16384A" listed as a trojan.
    It also found "Win32.Trojan.VB" and listed it is Malware. The threats were cleaned and do not show up on further Ad-Aware scans. They never showed up on NOD32 scans.

Hope this info helps. I will continue to look for the original infected download.

As of now, Ad-Aware and Malwarebytes both report my system is clean and NOD32 always reported my system was clean even before Ad-Aware found that stuff.

5. sir_carew

sir_carew Registered Member

ALL antivirus miss something, you can't expect an antivirus that detect the 100% of malicious codes from any vendor.

6. MrGump

MrGump Registered Member

that is true

7. bradtech

bradtech Guest

Upload it to virustotal.com and see what it says

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.