So why wouldnt it work.

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by trjam, Apr 7, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Ok, I know about those real nasty things that kill your MBR and we all know that no one product cures all. We know most use a AV and are well protected, regardless of name brand.

My question is that programs like VMWare, Returnil and ShadowDefender, are they not just as equal to all others when all we are trying to do is attain 98 percent protection. How are you better or worse off by just using one of them compared to a AV or HIPS. I realize that the nasty is there until reboot, but with a AV and/or HIPS it is there until a scan or it is activated.

I am just trying to figure out why a person could just not use one of these if his or hers surfing habits were, shall we say the norm. Or are there defencicies that go with a virtual world that other products dont have. Sorry if this is long winded but folks like me sometimes just have to come out and ask it in our own way instead of trying to piecemeal topic after topic to find a answer.

2. Long View

Long View Registered Member

it does work - well at least for me. I have played with most things and then got bored. I use Returnil, DeepFreeze, Shadow Defender on different machines - makes no difference to me. No As, no AV, No hips, No sandboxie, No FD-ISR and no problems.

3. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thanks longview. But there has to be something.

4. Long View

Long View Registered Member

don't understand - there has to be something ? what ?

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Works for me also. No AV's or AS's here at all. Just use Sandboxie, OA, and Prosecurity. As appropriate Shadowdefender/Returnil, Vmware, and of course FDISR/Shadowprotect.

Pete

6. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

It can work fine.

You just have to pay attention to the state you're in (virtual vs real), plan accordingly, and understand what you know, what you can reasonably surmise, and what you have no concept of.

If you've ever jumped deeply into a foreign field, you should be able to appreciate that it's fully understanding the landscape you're immersed in where issues arise since you often have a poor sense of what you really don't know (you think you do, but you don't) and suffer for that lack of knowledge. In the current discussion, that's making the call between malware and not - which is why I always suggest an AV: invoking an implicit assumption that at some point in the future you will download and run something of unverified origin. The vast majority of times even this is no issue, but I don't want to be accused of providing poor guidance for that one time it is an issue.

Blue

7. trjam

trjam Registered Member

thanks, to all of you.;)

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Works for me too, no scanners during more than six months already and I tested my approach with all popular scanners and they couldn't find anything, not even a tracking cookie or MRU, except false positives.
    The reason, why they can't find anything is simple : there is nothing to find in a fresh installed clean and unused system partition, that has hardly been on-line.
    All these nasty things, like KillDisk, Robodog, ... are blocked by Anti-Executable.

My data partition is locked when I surf on the internet.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.