So What Would It Take with Today's Technology?

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by SirRollsAlot, Oct 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SirRollsAlot

SirRollsAlot Registered Member

In short:

I would like to assume that today's encryption standards will not be broken for the sake of this discussion. I am trying to determine if pursuing online privacy/anonymity is feasible and worth my time.

What would it take with today's available technology to legally/ethically comprise a fully anonymous internet setup? (i.e. not just steal someone else's internet resources)

Would the anonymous setup with today technology be different than a fully secure/private setup? If so, how?

Is it possible to combine both of the above setups? If so, how?

TIA

2. redcell

redcell Registered Member

We can use VPN, proxy tunneling and SOCKS to maximize privacy.

Then again, it's subjected to the level of complaints or nuisance the feds consider. They have the "internet kill switch" - to shutdown any website or net traffic deemed threat to national security.

It's called the Protecting Cyberspace as a National Asset Act,

3. SirRollsAlot

I'm aware of the Internet Kill Switch (IKS), and thank you for the link. Are we, those in the US, basically out of options? I mean, if the IKS is ever activated or whatever, then connections just stop.

But are there any options for privacy and anonymity? I guess I can live with just privacy, so it's not a big deal. Can you point me to some decent guides/write-ups on different VPN/SOCKS/Proxy tunneling setups? I am trying to figure out if it is worth paying for a VPN service or whatever if I can just configure something simple and just connect.

4. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hi SirRollsAlot...

A good place to start would be the archives of this sub-forum. There is so much good stuff about VPN use, various privacy methods, privacy versus anonymity, etc. Just read the thread titles in this forum and start reading. It will keep you busy for a very long time (and many of the posts will point you to other resources as well).

5. hierophant

hierophant Registered Member

Well, YOUR connection might stop working, but THEIR connections will be just fine :) So maybe someone did a secret splice somewhere. And maybe there's a wifi mesh. But hey, maybe that stuff just works in fiction.

6. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

You'd probably have to employ illegal tactics to ensure the best level of privacy/anonymity. For instance, using a botnet or cracking someone's Wifi. The best legal option is probably Tor, but it can only help with anonymity and not privacy (depending on how it's used).

7. SirRollsAlot

Thank you, all, for the feedback. I'll continue to lurk and read; if I can't find an answer to a question, I'll ask.

@PooseyII I signed up a while ago to inquire about xerobank services. Used their product for one year, and then stopped. My time was allocated elsewhere, so I lacked the time to re-read the older posts. Chronomatic succinctly answered my main inquiry; I can only reach a certain level of anonymity/privacy in a legal manner.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.