So what do you guys think of the new BOclean?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by disinter1, Apr 22, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

I downloaded it and it seems confusing, but I can tell it's some powerful software! Also does this work well with prevx1? Good job Comodo for this fine product!:D

2. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Gotta link?

3. disinter1

disinter1 Guest

4. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thanks. Have to take it out for a spin.

5. Bio-Hazard

Bio-Hazard Registered Member

I have been using comodo BOClean for a couple of hours...looking good. I have it running alongside Prevx1, Spywareterminator, Online Armor v2 beta, DefenseWall v2 beta and NOD32 with no problems.....so far.

Thanks Comodo for a nice free product!:thumb:

6. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

My first impression of this much raved over security app is that it is a "live" memory scanner that sweeps memory to identify traces of any malware logged in the BoClean database and proceeds to disable it while asking the user if you want it also to remove/terminate? the file.

It coughed up a couple times when i tried to bring the Excluder window up and had to terminate it then restart

SSM reports that BoClean's BOC423 constantly "wants to modify the memory of...." smss.exe

When i allow it BoClean keeps repeating over & over again trojan horse program was found blah, blah, blah which is my own keylogger and an antique one at that if any of you guys remember tiKl. I place both the exe and dll in the Excluder but i keep getting annoying reminders like that.

If this keeps up i'll have to ditch it because it's beginning to get on my nerves, not only that but i run a .swf at system start-up and each time i get that alert to my keylogger (IN BOCLEAN EXCLUDER :cautious: ), SSM pops up that something is trying to remove the flash file. Wonder what that could be since i just installed ComodoBoClean. :doubt:

I think maybe they geared this thing a little more favorably toward Vista? Dunno, any thoughts, opinions?

7. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

My first impression is that it seems to work with a blacklist. :(
    My second impression : I uninstalled it because it doesn't fit in my plans, but I couldn't do it via Windows Add/Remove Programs.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  8. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Indeed! And strickly from.......................nothing else? In other words a simple signature/name matcher sort? I also get somewhat frequent firewall OUTGOING alerts
    'COMODO BOClean - Anti-Malware' from your computer wants to connect to 92.c8.344a.static.theplanet.com [174.352.200.146], port 51746
    Program Requesting...........
    c:\program files\comodo\cboclean\boc423.exe

About the same time SSM again pops up with smss.exe attempt to modify memory.
    If i remember correctly the vanquish rootkit used to "modify memory" of not just one system process but the entire list of running processes in order to hide itself from Windows API and virtually disappear any folders/files under this sort of stealth.
    My guess is COMODO BoClean works in a manner that takes advantage of smss.exe in helping it fish thru memory for malwares.

At any rate it's off-balance on my set-up right now and probably something i should bring up to the COMODO sections if i don't completely lose interest in it altogether. And to think all the HYPE thats been revolving around it for so long. I'm sort of disappointed and expected better even of this free release.

9. Velnias

Velnias Registered Member

What hype?- zillions of borgs are satisfied with it... your resistance is futile...

10. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I am mainly testing it to see if it could be useful to my friends computer, she gets infected all the time. But I guess I will keep it along side with Prevx1, it doesnt affect system performance a bit and is not intrusive at all (even less intrusive than Prevx1, but then again I dont know if they do the same thing) but I´ll keep it as an extra layer just for the sake of it. I have all this free RAM doing nothing, and it´s free, so what the heck. :)

you dont think that BC is checking for updates?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2007
  11. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

You may as well give up.............it's free now and that alone will make some hype it, prepare for the floods in the coming weeks/months! :D

To the OP, it is BOClean 4.22 with a slightly different GUI, otherwise the good & the bad is still the same.

12. ErikAlbert

LOL. It's only software man, let these zillions of borgs be satisfied, I don't care. I'm satisfied with not using BOClean (who cares), that's one security software less on my computer and one more post added to my post counter. :)

13. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

Hi EASTER.2010,
    I wonder if your problem does not come because you install BoClean "AFTER" SSM. Because I have no problem at all running them together.
    BoClean has been on my computer for the last three years but I installed SSM only three or four month ago.

Maybe others could confirm this I don't know.

14. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Its got a couple of bugs in the new version, one of them has already been reported on the Comodo forum.
    As for the icon in the tray, it SUCKS, no way is it better than the little gray box with the vaccum.

15. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Quick question. I'm behind a Router FW and use Prevx1 and Avira PP with Windows Firewall. I have been thinking about replacing the Windows FW with either PC Tools or Comodo Pro FW. However would I just be better off keeping Windows FW and adding BOclean instead for some added protection?

16. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I would say stick with WinFW and add BoClean. Comodo FW is a good choice, but I think there's a bit of overlap using it with Prevx1. In the end it depends on how much layering you want and how much ram you have to spare. Router, WinFW, Avira & BoClean may be all you need...

17. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

It's basically the same as the former version of BOClean.Looks like the configuration options are the same.Just a different look/logo.

18. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It,s sure not for u Eric. I wonder what u were expecting from it? It has always been
    a signature based ( black list) memory scanner and it is! It should have been clear to u from all.

19. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Ok, I always wished to give it a trial that was not possible. Now it,s free and I have added it on my system as I like to try these scanners although I believe that security is more than scanners, one scannner is quite enough and that is ofcourse a good AV.

I am realy a bit dissapointed, GUI is not not so nice( very small and rather cluttered window or right click), popups are rather not so clear and uniform in size, they are of different sizes but GUI is not a problem in reality. Also I think as they were having troubles so ofcourse they don,t had time for GUI, they were concerned with actual malware detection and removal than a fancy GUI.

BOC423.exe crashed multiple times while trying to delete malware files. Otherwise it is not taking much resources except CPU cycles on starat up, it is probably scanning OS memory at
    that time.

BTW how can I disable this popup while still having popups if it detects a malware. I get it when I am offline. Any BOClean user?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      13.1 KB
      Views:
  20. ErikAlbert

I couldn't try it, because I had to buy it. It's free now, but I can't use it, because of the blacklist principle.

21. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Thats a valid possibility and thanks for offering it. In cases including my own, i suppose some of us are already adapted to HIPS/Behavioral Blockers as well as other AS's that perform basic memory scans from a blacklist/sig database. They work, make no bones about it, so it just comes down to what is most preferred by the user and the results they are provided.

Thanks for the confirmation. Like mentioned in other previous posts of mine regarding BoClean, not untill only now have i ever even tried this one, and just as suggested it's mostly a memory scanner that i have no doubts is a very beneficial one for most where it is fully compatible.

22. Zimzi

Zimzi Registered Member

Can BOClean detect and block something that Avira (or Kaspersky, NOD32 etc.) can not and, if can, what it is exactly? It looks like that BOClean only occupays space in system tray and bits my pc resources doing nothing that my antivirus can not do. o_O

23. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

SSM, KIS, Neoava, PS, who knows??

24. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I has SSM before, tried BOclean with it and no problems.
    Even with NeovaGuard( instead of SSM) no problems.

25. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,

I don't know about the old BOClean, but I can comment on the few hours I have been testing it. Too early for any solid conclusions but:

- Install did not go smoothly the first time alongside Ashampoo firewall. The updater got stuck (without any wording on it, just an approx. 300x100px window stuck...).

- Install went ok the second time with Comodo firewall, but again, the updater could not complete (although it had the full logo). Requesting update manually got it stuck again... Seems like the updater does not work.

- GUI is a bit archaic and a bit broken; the configurations actually pop off screen! to the right! Looks like an 98 app... well ...

- Effectiveness? I don't except to see anything as FF / Opera will never result in such ... But I'll give it a few more spins.

- Memory / CPU print lower than what some reported, all together around 9MB.

Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.