So what anti-virus companies provide free scanning and removal?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ratchet, Mar 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

It would seem that if you use a decent free A-V like Avast 5, Windows Defender or another active A-S and periodically scan with MB and e.g. NOD32, you end up with a setup that is probably 99.xx% as secure as a $30 paid setup. This isn't taking into account surfing sanboxed either. Until November 2009 I had been a NOD customer for over six years, but have now gone with a free one year a-squared license on the XP desktop and Avast on the Vista laptop. So far, so good! Back to the original question, do most of the major players now provide free scanning and removing?

2. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

Remember A vs. B is not allowed so let's not try to say one AV is better then another.

In general most only offer free scanning but not removal.

3. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

Not sure how you inferred A vs B? Any way, I only looked at Eset and it does state removal too.

4. Johnny123

Johnny123 Registered Member

I don't use any real-time security software at all. LUA, SRP and DEP and an IPCop firewall box does the trick. I do a scan every couple of weeks with Avira and/or Malwarebytes and AVZ and they never find anything. Saves a lot of system and financial resources.

The online scans that I know of that also remove are TrendMicro HouseCall, F-Secure and Bitdefender. Having seen another thread about Bitdefender chewing its way through all the system files, I would probably not use that one at the moment :D

Dr.Web Cure-it would also be a good alternative, as is AVZ.

5. tgell

tgell Registered Member

Well, off the top of my head the free anti-virus programs that scan and remove are: In no particular order

Microsoft Security Essentials

Comodo

Rising Anti-virus

ClamWin

Avast!

Avira Antivir Personal

AVG

PC Tools

6. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

Good list. I think you got them all.

7. progress

progress Guest

8. Watasha

Watasha Registered Member

We need to stop posting threads with AV Comparatives/Tests then right?:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.