So much for end-to-end encryption

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by EASTER, Sep 7, 2021.

1. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

WhatsApp and Facebook pays more than 1,000 workers to READ messages that are flagged as 'inappropriate' and even share them with the DOJ
    PUBLISHED: 14:43 EDT, 7 September 2021 | UPDATED: 16:14 EDT, 7 September 2021

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...examine-millions-pieces-content-WhatsApp.html

Last edited: Sep 7, 2021
  2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Don't forget about the built in back doors. Yes plural. Each government gets their own. Whoopee!

3. Alec

Alec Registered Member

It's probably some word game like Apple plays with iMessage / Messages. Apparently, Apple does use end-to-end encryption within Messages... BUT most people have Messages backed up to their iCloud account, and if you do that then those backed-up messages are stored with a key that Apple possesses.

Apple’s iMessage Is Secure … Unless You Have iCloud Enabled
    https://www.howtogeek.com/710509/apples-imessage-is-secure...-unless-you-have-icloud-enabled/

4. summerheat

summerheat Registered Member

I'm the last person to defend WhatsApp/Facebook - in fact, I don't use either.

However, the claim that end-to-end encryption is broken in WA is questionable, IMO. Needless to say that when a user receives messages that contain inappropriate content they are already unencrypted for that user - and if that user flags them as improper and, thus, forwards them to WA, this does not necessarily mean that encryption is broken.

If such a feature is necessary/appropriate for a messenger is another question, though.

5. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I don't use WhatsApp, but this makes no sense. If a user is talking to another user that they know, I don't get the recipient's complaining about improper, illegal, inappropriate messages. If the two people don't know each other, what fool would send inappropriate, etc messages to someone they don't know?

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Yeah not a fan of WA/Facebook either, but there is no end-to-end encryption broken, the messages are encrypted in transit and then decrypted to be able to be read by the receiver. The receiver could then publish a screenshot on Twitter, forward it to friends, snitch to the FBI etc or in this case send it to Facebook employees. Same with any encrypted communication.

Also note that Apple could do MitM attacks on massive scale since public keys are not visible to the users and thus cannot be verified.

7. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

There are people stalking ex-girlfriend/ex-boyfriend and sending them threats or trying to disturb by similar means etc

I do agree with summerheat and Alec comments. These messages probably were protected in transit by E2E encryption. Then they were decrypted by intended recipient, read and resend to Facebook as inappropriate content. Frankly I didn't read the original article, but it is Daily Mail and I don't want to waste time on reading it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.