So MajorGeeks is listing Returnil final today.

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by ratchet, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Maybe you understand now, why I am so angry with Horizon DataSys.
    HDS killed the freeze function in FDISR and freeze won't exist anymore in the next releases of FDISR.
    HDS offers now a crippled FDISR and recommends Rollback Rx as a replacement for this crippled FDISR.
    The fact that Leapfrog approved this, makes it even worse. Maybe Leapfrog isn't so interested anymore in FDISR. :mad:

2. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I have my Raxco copy and will keep it as is based on what you said.:)

3. Huupi

Huupi Registered Member

Yes,I would stay with your current version,IMO there is no real improvement in the next releases,what you get is one boot extra to copy/update,but then most users are more used to use the two boot copy/update and neglect the freeze which is just one boot.They are just two ways to get same result not worth bothering,where FDISR realy shines is in the way it works !

4. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

As I said somewhere else, fd-isr works as is for me, I have not updated to this latest version, nor do I see a need to. It does what I need it to do and I really can't see an improvement to what is already there. If it aint broke don't fix it.

5. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Guys....please bring the discussion back to Returnil.

6. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I'm then staying with my FREEZE dried FD-ISR version then. Very sneaky tactics if you ask me.

OT:

Returnil is performing as outstanding on my machine as one could possibly ask. I always tend to really look close at extra features and their usefullness or not. The virtual partition is very snappy and overall everything is a stable as a rock with pinpoint percision, best of all not even the slightest hint of any issues.

7. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

I know what your talking about. For simple program installs, Returnil is perfect. I have installed a browser and media player and both Returnil and the programs installed and worked perfectly. When I rebooted, all was gone. Returnil does what it claims to do.

FWIW everyone, I think most everybody now knows that if you need a program that requires a reboot to install, you need another program to accomplish this amazing task :rolleyes: . If you don't venture into installing these type of apps, then Returnil is a perfect solution for trying new installs. Oh, and it has a version that is free for personal use ;).

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Returnil has a few advantages : speed and virtual environment, but 10 seconds faster doesn't make much difference.

1. If I choose Returnil,
    - I have to give up my two different work environments, which I don't like to do.
    - I have to give up my clean archives, which means I can't rollback
    - I can't install softwares that require a reboot, which means I have to turn it OFF.

2. If I combine Returnil with FDISR, I have reboot problems, unless I turn Returnil OFF.
    I'm not planning to turn Returnil OFF and ON, while I want it ON, just to make a reboot easier.

3. If I stick to FDISR, I don't have any of these problems and I have more, so I keep FDISR.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2007
  9. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

I think that's fair enough, and highlights the point that no matter how good any software is, it isn't necessarily suitable for everyone. "You can please all of the people, some of the time, and some of the people all of the time. But you can't please all of the people, all of the time."

I personally run Returnil alongside fd-isr, the issues that rule it out for Erik are of no consequence for me, most likely as I use both programs differently. I also have 2 completely different envoironments, one quite lean with largely only work related software, and one with administrative software, and recreational stuff, and an emergency baseline snapshot with no apps that is not online. I generally only boot into my recreational / Admin snapshot at weekends, so an extra boot to get out of session lock is trivial to me.

Testing software is not my job, so I rarely have to deal with issues of whether it requires a reboot or not. My software envoironment does not change that much, and thus I am quite happy with the best that both have to offer.

I have had one or two niggles with Returnil, since first starting to use it, but I am not sure if this was a minor conflict with something else, in any case for now they seem to have gone and the program is performing well.

10. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Coldmoon,
    Is it technically possible for Returnil to exit shadowmode by logging off, not computer reboot, ie. When you login to the user account, shadowmode is disabled.

11. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello nanana1,
    No, the protection mode will not be released until you do a full reboot. This is true also for Session Lock. If one user turns on Session Lock or changes the mode to ON (manually, or by Scheduler), then it will be on for all users who log in afterwards until the computer reboots.

Mike

12. Long View

Long View Registered Member

I haven't used Returnil and FDISR together for some time. My recollection though was that with Returnil on one snapshot I was unable to reboot directly to other snapshots. All I had to do was choose the snap shot I wanted when the boot screen appeared. No need to turn Retunil off

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 26, 2007
  13. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

Hi Coldmoon,

Thanks for reply....I wanted to know if it is ever possible in the future development of Returnil to exit shadowmode through logging off the account instead of a reboot. I don't think exiting shadowmode in the same session is ever possible, that's why I thought logging off may be a possible way of exiting shadowmode and for me, if that is accomplished, a big step towards the Holy Grail. ;-)

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I asked the same question earlier, and was told it's in the works for a future release.:D

15. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

That's probably a pretty hard nut to crack in the programmers circles that design these type shadowing programs, because without a doubt they surely would have already implimented such a convenient feature as that by now.

I just wonder which Lab will be the "first" to solve it.

16. nanana1

nanana1 Frequent Poster

I was suggesting that maybe they can look at exiting shadowmode through logging off the user (without computer restart) instead of a reboot as is commonly implemented in all these "shadow" software.

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Not sure logging off helps. I suspect it has to do with how windows starts up the disk io stuff. Could be an almost impossible nut.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.