So I've decided upon Shadow Protect, what now?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by besafe, Nov 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. besafe

besafe Registered Member

I am doing the 30 day trial of Shadow Protect (donloaded from their site). I like it best of the Imaging Programs I tried. Easy to use, reliable, and runs efficiently on my system. So I will soon purchase a license. Once I do that, what else do I need to do?

For example:

1. Can I and should I make some bootable recovery media?
    2. Basically, I take a full image every day and save to an external hard drive keeping 7 full images at all times. Should this suffice?
    3. Anything else

I am new to disk imaging but feel that this software and backup plan protects me fairly well.

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Good choice, but yes there is something else. The trial you downloaded is strictly the Desktop version. What you need to do is go to this page and request the full evaluation. Ignore the warning in red. They will get back to you and give you a down link to download an ISO.

You need to burn this file to CD. It serves two purposes. 1) it is an installer for the desktop versions, and 2) it is a bootable recovery CD. You need to boot to this CD and make sure you can see all your drives. This is what you would use to do a restore.

Pete

PS. Feel free to ask more questions as you go.

3. besafe

besafe Registered Member

OK...I got my email from them and will download and burn the ISo image today (I assume that the free version of Roxio on my PC can do this).

Question: do I need to uninstall the trial version that I have been using to this point before doing this?

Thanks bro.

4. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    no need to uninstall.

btw if your programs cannot burn an .iso file use burncdcc
    no need to install just extract contents of .zip file and double click the program.

5. LenC

LenC Registered Member

I dropped Acronis for SP. I am very pleased with it - very straightforward and very stable. And VERY fast.

By all means, download and read their user guide - it is very helpful and readable.

6. besafe

besafe Registered Member

Haven't read the users manual yet (or at least all of it, I did read some, it is long).

Anyway, here is what I have done:

1. I downloaded the trial desktop, 30 day version from the website.

2. At the advice of people here, I requested a full 30 day evaluation. I downloaded the ISO and burnt it to CD.

3. I rebooted the PC from the ISO CD I made, it rebooted just fine.

What next?

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello,
    so does the recovery environment detect all your hardware correctly?

8. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

Might be overkill. Is this for personal or business? How much activity on the pc? If you're just using the pc/laptop for general use, you probably don't need to image everyday.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.