So I need to turn off to do an av scan?

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by owen35ny, Jan 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. owen35ny

owen35ny Registered Member

makes sense to have to turn it off to update av but I guess that also means I should turn it off to scan with avira and sas? Other wise I'd just be scanning a virtual thing?:doubt:

2. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hello owen35ny and welcome :)

Your AV will perform exactly as it would with RVS protection off. The only difference is that if your system is already infected before you turn the protection on, you may experience a bouncing ball situation.

What I mean by this is that the AV would remove the infection from the virtual system, but would not remove the infection in the real system. When you restart the computer, the infection would be restored...

If you detect or suspect a real system infection, you should do as required to clean that system before turning RVS protection back on.

Mike

3. owen35ny

owen35ny Registered Member

I see, this thing is like time travel lol. What about net history and cache I guess it would not create any and if it did it would be dumped at restart but if dumped is it recoverable?

4. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

You will create a history and cache regardless while using RVS, just that this information would be lost following a restart of your computer. The issue I think you are thinking about however is how to save that content when needed or wanted when protection is on. Some ideas on how to deal with this over time:

1) Custom save locations - change your browser's default save locations for bookmarks/favorites
    2) Install your browser in a non-system partition or alternate drive
    3) Make a backup copy of your current information before restarting the computer. EX: I often add bookmarks when surfing with protection on and then use my browser's export feature to create a copy of the current list on an alternate data partition that can be referenced or used later

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.