So I must be missing something about Macrium Reflect!

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by ratchet, Jun 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

So I use 20% off and purchase the Standard edition a few days ago. As mentioned in a previous post, I had to remove it from the boot menu since there was an issue with W7 Sleep and my monitor. No big deal I felt but then last night I decided to test an incremental backup/restore and I couldn't do it from Windows. Is this correct? I'm hoping I did something wrong!
    I've never had an issue with Paragon, AX64 or even W7's own backup. Why/how can MR be so popular if you can't restore from Windows?
    Again, I'm hoping I did something wrong but I have read and viewed their tutorials. If it is quicker restoring incrementas than the other applications (obviously can't beat AX64), I've lost that advantage if having to boot from the CD!

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I believe you have to have the boot menu installed for the windows restore to work. I used it all the time and the windows restore automatically boots in to the recovery environment, restores, and boots back to windows. But it does use the boot menu.

Pete

3. ratchet

Thank you for the reply! I posted the boot menu issue in their support forum so perhaps the problem can be rectified. Fortunately I have other options, plus even if it were the last available option, would only need some minor patience. Still surprised with all the "love" this app gets since you can't simply restore from Windows environment!

4. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

most imaging or backup programs do not allow you to restore from within windows. or if they do they have the system reboot to do the recovery anyway, only a very few do a full restore directly from within windows and those reboot after that anyway. macrium is not a snapshot type of program.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't know of any true imaging program that allows you to restore within the Windows environment. They simply can't do that.

6. Hadron

Hadron Registered Member

Has anyone mentioned to the OP to make a boot disc or USB?

7. ratchet

I did! It won't allow you to add it to the menu unless you make boot media first. My complaint is that you can't restore from Windows as you can with W7s backup, Paragon and of course AX64's "hot" restore.
    I restored an incremental, which took 6 min and 7 sec. That is almost exactly what a Paragon or W7 image restore takes. Someone mentioned (before I purchased and the reason I did) that MR's incrementals were faster than other programs so I've scheduled them in place of my daily W7 backups.
    I'll accept the opinion that MR is rock solid but so has Paragon and AX64's hot restores (they can be as quick as one minute) been for me so I'm having a hard time sharing the love I've been reading for it here.
    I changed a few setting in my ASUS BIOS so at least the PC is coming out of sleep normally with MR added to the boot menu!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.