So I bought and tested a Raspberry Pi

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Mrkvonic, Mar 21, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

This is a review of Raspberry Pi, a credit-card-sized micro-computer designed for entertainment and education, covering ups and downs of purchase attempts online, total cost of a hardware bundle including Model B, micro-USB power supply, Wireless network dongle, Wireless keyboard and mouse, and SD card, NOOBS software package, overview & specifications, assembly, first use and setup, and more. Might be an interesting read.

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/raspberry-pi.html

Cheers,
    Mrk

2. sgr

sgr Registered Member

Hi Dedo,keep in mind that Xbmc in any form for Raspberry pi is still to heavy for that hardware so the only one good way to go for now would be the Omxplayer without X being started at all plus the overclocking must be in place of course.In any way Raspi will fail that competition you are going to serve us with cos it is not and never will be device for avarage user who knows how to press the play button... but belive me you can achieve amazing things with ssh,SimpleHTTPserver,omxplayer, xclip, youtube-dl and livestremer... casting content from your laptop including.
    The truth is though if you want media player to work out of the box you should never go for Raspi as for 150 bucks you can get used laptop with a way better hardware on board :)
    Do I use Raspi at all? Yes from time to time.
    Did I learn anything trying to make good use of it ? A lot and even more!
    But hey! dedoimedo.com is all about learning isn't it ?
    Good night then :)

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.