So how do I go about making these snapshots?

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by eniqmah, Aug 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eniqmah

eniqmah Registered Member

I have all the programs installed, games and all. The whole system partition takes 55GB, 30 of which=games. An ATI image of this would be about 50GB. I venture to guess a snapshot of this would be around 55GB as well.

What I want to do is simple, have 4 different snapshots:
    snapshot 1. Working copy- The full thing, just as it is, for the normal days.
    snapshot 2. Playing copy - Just the games and optimized services /hardware config for games.
    snapshot 3. More playing copy-testing softwares, probably the bare/updated OS. etc...
    snapshot 4. Rollback copy- This should just be duplicate of snapshot 1. duplicates of snapshots 2 and 3 will be on external disk.

Now, how do I do this without having to uninstall and Reinstall my games and settings?

I can start @snapshot 1. :)
    Then, optimize for games and uninstall everything else, then make snapshot 2?
    After that, restore snapshot 1, uninstall all games, leaving just the OS and make snapshot 3?
    After that, restore to snapshot 1 and copy to snapshot 4?

2. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Copy/Update from snapshot 1 to snapshot 2
    Boot in snapshot 2 and remove everything, what you don't need in snapshot 2, 3 and 4 and configure it.

Copy/Update from snapshot 2 to snapshot 3.
    Copy/update from snapshot 2 to snapshot 4.

Boot in snapshot 2 and remove what you don't need in snapshot 2 and configure it.
    Boot in snapshot 3 and remove what you don't need in snapshot 3 and configure it.
    Boot in snapshot 4 and remove what you don't need in snapshot 4 and configure it.

3. fce

fce Registered Member

hello erik,

with that setup of eniqmah...if i want to play games i will need to boot at Snapshot 2 and i can play my installed games right?

incase there's a update for drivers that require to run in Working snapshot 1 and Snapshot 2 (Gaming), what i need to do is to boot at snapshot 1 and install the driver....same as snapshot 2, i need to boot and install the drivers?

This will be my future set-up (thanks eriqman i got some idea of different snapshot)
    Snapshot-1: Work Snapshot (KAV7, other software excluding gaming software)

Snapshot-2: KAV7, C&C3

Snapshot-3: KAV7, C&C3, Other testing games.

Snapshot-4: Rollback of Snapshot 1

4. ErikAlbert

fce,
    Everything is good as long you are happy with it.
    All snapshots have an Operating System and Applications/Games and each snapshot is INDEPENDENT and can be renamed, removed, copied, created, archived, ... at any time. You can change the CONTENTS of each snapshot at free will.
    You have to find your own way, FDISR only offers the functions to make it possible. If you have 10 snapshots, you have 10 different harddisks [C:]

There is only one golden rule : you need minimum TWO snapshots and one of them must be a refuge snapshot, where you can boot to, when something goes wrong in one of the other snapshots.
    Lots of FDISR-users make a rollback ARCHIVE of each snapshot and when something goes wrong, they boot in their refuge snapshot and fix the damaged snapshot with its archive.
    If you can't archive to a second harddisk (internal or external), then you have to use a rollback snapshot.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  5. tradetime

tradetime Registered Member

It is a very adaptable program once you take the time to understand it correctly, my suggestion would be, as soon as you install it on ur computer you save one of the snapshots it makes of ur system, either primary or secondary, doesn't really matter, but for ease of understanding, I will say secondary, and rename it to something like "Original", this now represents, as the name suggests, the original configuration of your computer when fd-isr was installed. For good measure I would create a further archive of this, preferably on another drive.
    Now you can play and experiment, creating snapshots and altering until your hearts content, safe in the knowledge that you can always get back to your original state.

On my desktop I have essentially two different systems, both XP, but one is for work and one is for recreation, I have a secondary and tertiary backup of each, for weekly and monthly backups. I also have a foundation backup which simply consists of XP and all the drivers for my box. These all have archive copies on an external drive.

6. ErikAlbert

That is correct. Only one snapshot can be active (green arrow). If your games are stored in another snapshot, you have to boot in that snapshot to play games.

7. ErikAlbert

That is correct. Each snapshot needs its own maintenance and the more snapshots you have, the more maintenance you will have.

If snapshots are almost equal, like in the classic setup "work + rollback", then you can install drivers only one time in the work snapshot and copy/update these drivers to the rollback snapshot.

Don't do too much in the beginning, start with 2 snapshots : work and rollback and once you understand how FDISR works, you can do whatever you want.

Do you have an image backup software and an external harddisk or second internal harddisk ?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2007
  8. fce

fce Registered Member

thanks erik and tradetime. that's very informative.

i'll post my other question in other thread. sorry to thread starter :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.