So before I install my free Returnil Premium, I have a question!

Discussion in 'Returnil releases' started by ratchet, Dec 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ratchet

ratchet Registered Member

"Installation: You get some options here most notable to run the system on the hard drive or computer memory. There is also the optional setting to create a virtual partition on the computer system to store data." Any recommendations here? Thank You!

2. philby

philby Registered Member

Last edited: Dec 23, 2008
  3. Coldmoon

Coldmoon Returnil Moderator

Hi ratchet,
    I apologize for missing this over the holidays. Some things to think about when deciding on memory or disk caching:

1) Resources - Do you have ample RAM and available disk space? Is your hard drive fast or slow? Depending on this, you would want to pick the mode that will give you the best performance for the way you use your computer.

2) Frequent changes - do you need to make frequent changes within your system partition? Do you need to use default system folders like My Documents, My Pictures, etc

3) Do you have access to alternate partitions or drives?

4) Are you going to use the Personal or Premium Edition?

5) Do you want to use RVS as always on or on demand only?

The best advice I can give here would be to experiment with the caching options and get a feel for how it may or may not effect the way you use your system on a daily basis. Also be aware that saving content within the protected partition is only available in the Premium Edition and that you would also be required to use the disk caching mode in this case.

Though we could enable saving while in memory mode, there was an unacceptible chance that damage could occur when saving very large files or making a large number of concurrent saves so we disabled support for this until such time that this issue could be solved...

The Virtual Partition, as philby points out is a convenience with useful properties. It is not essential however for the full use of the System Protection feature and may be redundant for those with multiple partitions and/or hard drives...

HTH
    Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.