So apparently, Edward Snowden uses security-focused email service Lavabit

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by lotuseclat79, Jul 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lotuseclat79

lotuseclat79 Registered Member

2. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Umm, yeah right... :rolleyes:

Later edit: Note that I'm expressing some general skepticism about any email provider that pretends that they can't read your email; my comment was not targeted at Lavabit.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2013
  3. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

The KGB will have no problems reading it once Mr S. settles into his new digs.

4. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I use Lavabit myself. It uses Asynchronous Encryption using a public key and a private key with your password. If you set your email client to push HTTPS for all mail including your password exchange it is pretty much the best you can get for a consumer currently. Your emails go into a file container pretty much. Hence they cannot read the emails in plaintext.

5. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

How are they able to do this, if as they say, they can't auto read ANY emails ?

Plus i noticed that they ONLY claim they they can't read ANY emails, on the Paid version, NOT free ;)

6. Taliscicero

Only get encryption in payed.

Auto-Sort is client side with the use of an email browser such as Thunderbird. Its mainly a fancy word for make folders and tell your Thunderbird to sort emails from certain people into certain folders.

7. CloneRanger

@ Taliscicero

I see, that explains it then, Thanks :thumb:

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Interesting thing about Lavabit is they are based in Texas. At least that's where they say all legal matters will be dealt with.

There are some things about Edward Snowden that bother me. His willingness to allow his email provider to be made public? What's up with that?

You would be surprised how many people, that pay close attention to military and intelligence matters, think he's a double-agent (as absurd as that sounds). His background, as someone said to me, is like a made-for-TV 'from bus boy to chef' kind of story. Too silly almost to believe that he actually had access to all he claims to have had access to. Then it all comes complete with the theater of the Man Without A Country.

It's been said many times that during the Manhattan Project to build the atomic bomb, the backup plan in case it was a failure in the desert, was to do a massive "leak" that the U.S. has this incredible capability - and then act outraged that someone would let that "secret" out.

What if the NSA can't do squat? (I'm really playing Devil's advocate here.) What if the need was really to strike fear and paranoia into every country, organization and individual in the world? Make everyone think twice before using any high-tech device to plan anything detrimental to U.S. policy?

If the 'bomb' didn't work as planned - they had that backup plan. Hmmm.

I've never told you I am Oliver Stone? Okay, I'm kidding --- about that.

9. CloneRanger

@ Oliver Stone ;)

Talk about Conspiracy Theories :eek: But you do make a GREAT point :thumb: Alex Jones also thinks that Julian Assange is a DA ! Whether either are, we can't KNOW for sure ? But both have released plently of Interesting info, especially JA. I would be very surprised if either of them are DA's though.

I wasn't aware of the MP backup story, so Thanks for that :)

10. emmjay

emmjay Registered Member

Really guys! Spies in the employ of the state keep a low profile and are trained to avoid having their identity revealed or their cash of stolen secrets unveiled until they are out of the picture. The information is 'managed' by others not the man in the field. A mission always has a goal and a strategy with tactics to support that goal. Every plan has contingencies built into it as no plan goes smoothly and more importantly a plan has a beginning and an end. A plan that is meant to divert attention elsewhere has the same attributes. Ammeteurs, the likes of JA and Mr S. are seeking fame and fame alone. It is cool to do what they are doing. They are anarchists not spies or double agents. A DA would take years to groom.

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Sounds like a software program to me. What an analogy right?

On a more on topic and serious note. It still remains to be seen what eventually will settle after all the sifting, scrutiny, and facts finally shake out; be that what they may.
    It's currently an unfolding 21st century drama with some clear lessons to be learned from all sides. And just as inevitable, profits to be made either way.

In governments just as in individuals there are boundaries of common sense and reason, and apparently never the Twain shall meet without DRAMA, and the alternative consequences. The world is a stage and Technology is just introduced it's part into it and in the end it comes right back again to the human factor.

This saga will end and a new one equally intriguing will replace it in time. So pull up a chair, pop up some corn, and enjoy the show.

12. LockBox

To continue playing Devil's Advocate.....

Ed Snowden is not a "spy." He's either a whistleblower or a leaker (whichever you choose.) The very nature of such a program in my "story" would need to be implemented publicly - in such a manner as to appear unwanted and damaging to the United States, while at the same time making the U.S. look like the man behind the curtain. Giving the (false) impression of "We're watching you like you never dreamed in your wildest of dreams" Check. Check. Check. And.......... check.

Everything else you said I agree with. Maybe the plan has gone perfectly. Maybe it's been executed flawlessly. Maybe it did take years to groom, complete with simple postings to ARSt, and an EFF bumper sticker on his laptop.

Maybe.

Or, maybe not.

`

13. Taliscicero

Who honestly cares about Edward Snowden and what he does. I know that I don't. We should base our security decisions on our own merits and not his. We can do nothing to help or hurt the man, and we have no way of knowing what he did or what he took or what he knows so why even bother talking about him.

14. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I prefer Riseup Mail.

15. LockBox

We talk about a lot of things we can't do anything about. I think a lot of people care about what he says and does. Paying just cursory attention to the news should tell you that the revelations have been earth shaking to Internet security and privacy. I mean we can pretend and all, and say we don't care, but really? Of course we care.

Someone like Snowden using Lavabit might mean a lot. It may not mean anything. But it's sure going to be paid attention to.

`

16. cyph3rpunk

cyph3rpunk Registered Member

RiseUp is invite only right ?

17. LockBox

My problem with email attached to any organization with any political agenda is the simple fact they have a big target on them. Riseup has already been swept up in one big problem with the U.S. government already. Why go with an email server that says "Come Get Us" on it? But these kinds of things are preferences, to each their own, etc.

18. cyph3rpunk

Got a source for this USG story with RiseUp ?

19. LockBox

Don't get me wrong, what happened with the Riseup servers was despicable. But when everyone knows that you have to sign a pledge and vow that you accept their political beliefs - that's a problem. Especially when they align themselves with leftist organizations all over the world. Whether you agree or disagree with them is not the point. It's just a kind of taunting that puts the spotlight on you instead of the other way around.

No, it's not invite-only any longer, though an invite code gets you in quicker. In fact, here's the link you need:
    https://user.riseup.net/forms/new_user

Oh, here's a story concerning what happened with Riseup.
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2012/04/may-firstriseup-server-seizure-fbi-overreaches-yet-again

20. cyph3rpunk

21. Creer

Creer Registered Member

22. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

If I pay with my real credit card, could I still be anonymous while using it? Assuming that I'm NOT going to do anything illegal from Lavabit.

I'm asking this question mainly because I'm too lazy to convert my real credit card money into bitcoins. If I could pay for this service with Bitcoins, then I would be using Bitcoins with it, because Bitcoins are a much less traceable form of transaction than your real credit card (directly linked to your real identity). Thus making Bitcoins much more anonymous than your credit card which is linked to your real identity.

23. NotRight

NotRight Registered Member

Does anyone know if Riseup is more secure then Lavabit free? You have a good point about picking an e-mail provider that is a "target"; I didn't think about that. Although I may not agree with their views, I still abide by them within my e-mail(Riseup).

Is Lavabit just as secure? If anyone can verify this, it would be greatly appreciated!

Regards,
    me

One thing i have noticed with Lavabit is there are advertisements/spam at the bottom of all my messages in my inbox. May just stick with Riseup.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2013
  24. Fontaine

Fontaine Registered Member

A paid Lavabit account ($8 or $16 per year) will get you secure mail storage on the server that only your password can unlock. In other words, the admins cannot view your email and nor can anyone who confiscates their servers.

Riseup, to my knowledge, does not use the same type of encryption although I'm sure their servers are encrypted. The only difference is Riseup can be compelled, through an FBI search warrant, to release information for any of their users.

I use Riseup and really like them. I just don't store anything private on their servers.

I am also looking into lavabit.

Both are great.

25. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

No way.

Getting Bitcoins from a credit card is nontrivial, and very expensive if you can manage it. Bitcoin transactions are irrevocable, but chargebacks are possible with credit and debit cards, so processors charge high fees to cover risk.

The best path is buying Bitcoins as anonymously as you can manage, and then transferring them through multiple wallets via mixing services. Using MultiBit on Whonix is very easy. Bitlaundry, Bitcoin Fog and OnionBC are all good mixing services.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.