Snortsam 2.33 & CHX-I or 8signs

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Jazzie1, Jul 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jazzie1

Jazzie1 Registered Member

Hi All!

Frank Knobbe over at Snortsam, decided to release another version of Snortsam (2.33)! It has various fixes to the source code, not to mention a CHX-I plugin fix, that addressed the logging option to be passed correctly! You can find more info at:

Snortsam

Regards
    Jazzie

Last edited: Jul 11, 2005
  2. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Jazzie,
    Does Snort and Snortsam work with dialup? I Googled this question but couldn't find an answer.

3. Jazzie1

Hi, Snort does, but would you really want to?? Snort and or Snortsam should be used in conjunction to protect a dedicated server! It isn't meant for workstations! Unless your intentions are something other...

Regards
    Jazzie

4. Syncman9

Syncman9 Registered Member

Jazzie1,

Your right, but it can be made to work on a workstation, but I'm not sure about with dial up. I've set it up on mine, but my connection is via ethernet.

5. Jazzie1

Syncman9-

Yes it can for testing purposes/packet analyzing. Works rather well with an ethernet tap!:) I like the fact that Snortsam and CHX-I or even 8signs, will work as an auto-block IPS to monitor inbound traffic on a file server. I have a write-up for 8signs over at Snortsam.net:

http://www.snortsam.net/files/snortsam-v2_multi-threaded/docs/README_8signs.rtf

Which, can be easily be converted over to configure Snortsam & CHX-I!
    Just need to change a few variables in the script.

Regards
    Jazzie

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.