snipping tool and safeonline

Discussion in 'Prevx Releases' started by papillonn, Jan 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. papillonn

papillonn Registered Member

prevx version is 3.0.5.50, snipping tool gives an error message when safeonline is active either in front of the all applications on browser or in the background. Just let you know.

2. guest

guest Guest

Confirmed. But if you lower security from maximum to high for the
    loaded site problem goes away after closing / restart of browser.
    Tested with default configs of prevx.com and https with IE8.

Black screen defeated by closing the browser before screengrabbing. :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
  3. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

Yes :) This will indeed allow it through - blocking the snipping tool is intentional, as it can possibly be used by malware to steal user data, which is why we block it from accessing the screen when a secured browser instance is active.

4. papillonn

papillonn Registered Member

After closing a secured tab it still consist to give that error, only thing you can do is closing browser to get it work properly again. Could you arange something, must i close browser or safeonline to take screenshots on my computer?

5. PrevxHelp

You will need to close the entire browser. The logic for our screen grabber protection is: if the user opens an HTTPS website at any point within that browser session, we will protect the entire browser session until it closes. This is because it isn't possible to reliably determine if there is absolutely no confidential information left on the screen from the HTTPS session even after they navigate away from it, so, we take the more wide-scoped approach and just protect the whole session until the browser is closed.

Let me know if you have any questions on that!

6. dabruro

dabruro Registered Member

Oh, so that's the logic! Basically that means we can never use screen capture tools and we will have trouble cutting and pasting across our applications, since of course a given browser session will have visited an https website at some time in the past, unless for some reason you entirely exit your browser frequently. If you're like me you leave it running all day, usually with a dozen tabs or so.

This is a dealbreaker for anything above the lowest setting in safeonline. Could you at least give us an optional setting that changes this behavior?

And what about when all the browser windows are minimized -- can't you safely allow us to do stuff in other (non-browser) windows in this case?

7. pling_man

pling_man Registered Member

What I do is change the protection to High when I want to do this. You're not losing too much protection by doing this.

Or I just run the browser inside my sand box (KIS Safe Run, where Safe Online doesn't work).

8. PrevxHelp

As pling_man has said, if you lower protection from Maximum to High, you will be able to take screenshots at any point. You can additionally right click on the Prevx tray icon and select Stop Protection, but lowering protection to High reduces less of the protection than stopping it entirely.

We can't check if the browser is minimized because there likely is still confidential information on screen at that point (even the window title in the task bar is considered confidential, and other programs may have shown information from the secured page).

Let me know if you have any questions :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.