Snapshots

Discussion in 'FirstDefense-ISR Forum' started by nixie21, Dec 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

Working in linux now, I am creating a virtual machine for windows with virtualbox (vmware is another story!). I want to install fdisr in my VM and then use a snapshot from my physical machine to update my VM machine. What folder in the C:\$ISR is the 2nd snapshot? What I want to do is just copy the folder into the VM replacing the VM's 2nd snapshot. If that does not work, I will try with an Archive file.

Thanks!

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I am a bit confused. First not sure where the linux comes in because I believe the files you are copying need to be windows. Copying files from the other snapshot will be very dicey because of file protection. Copying the archive would work.

Bit curious what the vmware story is, I use it all the time and FDISR works great in it.

Pete

3. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I always use archives to create snapshots in another environment, of course I never tried this in a Virtual Machine, but I would probably try it.
    I do this often :
    - restore image A
    - take an archive of image A
    - restore image B
    - restore archive A in image B

4. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

I have left windows, but still need it for some things. A VM is perfect for this.

The problem with VM

I have XP home, evertime I use Converter to convert my machine it fails at 13%, the only answer I can get from the VM forum is that XP home is not supported. I then try to create the VM from a acronis image, it fails at 93% everytime...I had enough and gave up. I created with virtualbox a XP home very easily. Now I want my machine in the VM. I guess the archive is the way to go. I will try this weekend and let you know how it worked.

Thanks

5. ErikAlbert

My theoretical assumption is that, once FDISR is installed in VM, you can IMPORT any archive to a new snapshot, no matter where that archive is created. You can use copy/update also if that is possible. I don't know anything about VM and VirtualBox.

6. Peter2150

Depends. Remember hardware is different

7. Peter2150

Ah. I built my system from scratch, and installed Windows. I've never tried the converter.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  8. ErikAlbert

My hardware is always the same, I have only one computer.

9. Peter2150

You missed the point. If you have a computer with a vm machine, the vm machine is in essence a different computer and the hardware IS different.

10. ErikAlbert

OK then. It shows how unfamiliar I am with VM. :)

11. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

There is still one bright light in an otherwise clouded situation of possibilities.

Thanks to FD-ISR's archive feature as Eric mentioned, where you may or may not be able to reconstruct a working snapshot in it's entirety due to the hardware differences, if not, an FD-ISR archive still can hold any and all your data/programs/installers or what have you and you can transfer them to whatever you please. I know this is not the answer being looked for, but it at least does hold some other useful potential between machines.

12. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Does the present-day FD-ISR Rescue permit you to copy the rescue file to a backup medium?

13. Peter2150

ER, what rescue file are we talking about.

14. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

There is no option within the program itself to backup the rescue area. There is no single rescue file, the actual rescue area contains all the directories/files that were present when the snapshot was taken. Using alternate means i've been able to backup the data contained in the rescue area. However i haven't tried to restore it yet to see if it still works.

15. Empath

Empath Registered Member

Thanks. I assumed the option wasn't included. I was mostly interested if one could do as you say you've done; that is to back up that data, which offers the potential of using it for more than is intended.

Peter, the rescue file I was talking of was whatever form of record it uses for the rescue snapshot.

16. ErikAlbert

Can I use FDISR Rescue inside a snapshot of the real FDISR, just like Returnil + FDISR or
    FDISR Rescue + Returnil ? :D

Last edited: Dec 23, 2007
  17. Peter2150

Same as regular FDISR. It is a duplicate copy of your c: drive. Either just back up your regular files, or image the whole disk.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.