Snap Deploy vs Sysprep

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by valkenaer, Apr 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. valkenaer

valkenaer Registered Member

My company recently bought 150 licenses for Snap Deploy, but testing it left me with some questions. I've grown accustomed to using Windows XP Sysprep and configuring the sysprep.inf to automate the "join domain" bits. The computername is purposely left blank so that the guys from Desktop Support only have to provide the computer name we've already created in Active Directory. But now when deploying the images, a lot of actions are taken that are already defined in the sysprep image. The snapdeploy20 manual states that these action are optional, so how do I choose not to use these settings (computer name, users and network setting) and just deploy the image I already "prepped"?

2. athomas

athomas Registered Member

You can use a combination of Snap Deploy and Sysprep (prep the machine with Sysprep and then image and deploy with Snap Deploy). This is of course an alternative and not really a specific answer to the question your answering. However, I think the idea is that when you deploy using a pre-existing template, you're having to fill out only once, where you can use a variable for the computer name. This will allow you to only fill out the information once, and deploy to several machines. The specific variable for the computer name is defined in the snapdeploy user guide It's
    Code:
    ComputerName{start[,count]}

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.