Snap Deploy computer name problem

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by Bruno Ausiello, Apr 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruno Ausiello

Bruno Ausiello Registered Member

Hi,
    I have a problem with snap deploy, I want send the same image to 100 computers using multicast and give them the same name that they have before recycling.
    Thanks Bruno

2. videoman

videoman Registered Member

We have just purchased the ASD3 and we have an up coming situation where we would like to do the same. Would like to hear feedback on this.

3. mgoheen

mgoheen Registered Member

I would love to hear what other people have come up with to resolve this issue.

We would like to use Snap Deploy to distribute new images (including software updates when needed) to existing machines. I have come up with the following, which is far from optimal:

1) Deploy new images using a name from a template (e.g. "bogo{1}", so machines would get effectively random names like "bogo1", "bogo2", etc.).
    2) In the deployment template, include a script that examines the IP address (from DHCP) and resolves the REAL name, then uses various commands to remove the original machine name from AD and renames the existing machine to the old name. Note that I haven't written this script yet...

Another option would be to remove the old machine name from AD prior to deployment, and then have a unique deployment template for EACH machine. Unfortunately, that won't work if you want to use multicast deployment.

If anyone has any ideas, please post/share!

Thanks,
    Matt Goheen

4. Alistair7

Alistair7 Registered Member

This is an important feature and should be present.
    It is already present in corporate Ghost.

I am absolutely fed up with Ghost which I have used at 2 schools for 6 years.
    I want to change to Acronis snap deploy.
    But this was quite disappointing to hear about this naming issue.

I think Acronis should implement this as soon as possible.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.