Snap Deploy 3 - glaring failures

Discussion in 'Other Acronis Products' started by chadeldridge, Jan 30, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chadeldridge

chadeldridge Registered Member

We are having extreme issues getting snap deploy to work correctly in our environment. Everything we are using is supposedly "supported" although there is a severe inability to make things actually work on a reliable basis.

First of all we are using USB network cards, yes i know they are horrible, but currently due to some corporate reasons we cannot use the on-board cards, I don't really wish to go into that. The USB card we are using is "according to Acronis" fully supported.

Second we are a Dell only shop, everything I have and am trying to use is Dell. Mostly Optiplex series, 330 and 360.

Last our network topology in concern to this issue:

1 - Switch -- DHCP Server
    2 - Switch
    3 - Switch -- OSD Server - Agents
    4 - Switch -- Agents

Our issue:

All clients attached to switch 3 (the same switch OSD server is on will about 90% of the time get DHCP and work)

Any clients attached to any other switch will fail to get DHCP and obviously fail to connect to the OSD server. This seems to mean that whatever method the boot CD is using to get connected to the server and then in turn get DHCP is being dropped by my switches. This mainly points me toward multicast, since there are very few switches out there that will actually allow passing of multicast traffic. These Dell switches are no exception, they drop it before forwarding. I am now on my 5-6th custom ISO from Acronis and none of them work more than the last. However it does seem that they are doing something right with the network card drivers, since my success rate with the local switch environment has gone up from about 40% to around 90%, although its still not perfect, i can live with it.

Can anyone think of any other reasons connecting from a client on a different switch would cause this result?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.