SMH and Logging On/Off

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Defenestration, Jan 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Defenestration

Defenestration Registered Member

I use SMH on my firewall (LnS). I also have two accounts set-up (Administrator and Limited). I often log off one and log onto the other account, but I have a problem.

When SMH is enabled, I end up with two instances of LnS running when I log back on. I assume it's because SMH stops LnS from shutting down when I log off. This causes a problem when I want to go back on to the Internet because I end up having to reboot my system to get back to the single instance of LnS.

With SMH disabled, I don't have any problem and only have 1 instance of LnS no matter how many times I log off/on.

Is there any way around this ?

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Defenestration, I'm not sure what is going on in your case, hopefully other L & S users can help (GKweb?), DCS may also have some ideas.

Pilli

3. Defenestration

A bit more info - I'm using the LnS service and the beta driver.

4. Defenestration

Recently I had the problem with PG protection disabled so it looks like it's a problem with LnS.

Just wanted to check - If PG protection is disabled, is SMH also disabled ?

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

If you disable ProcessGuard after you have launched the protected program then SMH will still be active because procguard.dll is already injected into the host process and will remain so until you close that process.
    If you have PG disabled and start a process that has SMH enabled then the .dll is not injected, however, if you have an SMH program running and then enable ProcessGuard the .dll will be injected.
    These actions are easy to see if you watch the process with a tool such as Sysinternals www.sysinternals.com Process Explorer.

HTH Pilli :)

6. Defenestration

Thanks Pilli :)

That explains what I was seeing after re-installation of PG.

7. Bowserman

Bowserman Infrequent Poster

Or, Diamond Computer Systems own free process exploration and manipulation tool - Advanced Process Manipulation (APM) :D.

Best regards,
    Jade.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.