SMC Barricade hack possible?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by brucemc, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brucemc

brucemc Registered Member

I set up a small network in my brother's office. We put in an SMC Barricade 7004ABR last year that he had around the house and because one tenant he was renting office space to complained over the lousy WOW speed (they lead with the low end package without advising the poor speed and my brother bit), he (my brother) set the NAT up to first link to tenant's computer (and have it's MAC cloned therefrom), then took one lead out of it and ran it into the WAN port of another (U.S. Robotics) router/NAT (instead of a normal switch) that then supplied his three desk office.

As you might now guess, the tenant shut down and we have no idea what the password is to the Barricade, the MAC it is cloned to for service, nor the ability to open ports for forwarding. If I reset it I have to go through getting WOW to understand what happened and allow a new MAC address, along with any NAT lectures I would have to endure and promises not to use one I might have to make. On the other hand, if I can get into that Barricade I not only preserve the MAC but also know how the heck to address the network for remote management. Are these things hackable or are they an unhackable fortress? I have tried about every normal guess I could from his son's name (who owned it before) through son's girlfriend's name, forwards, backwards, and so on...

2. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

I've no specific info on this hardware, but would suggest that if it is at all possible to do what you ask (probably not) then you could try making a walk in visit with the equipment to the nearest authorised dealer. At lease then the've got a face and a name to work with - a real person - otherwise you could anybody and they can't tell via email if you are who you claim to be.

3. jag1967

jag1967 Registered Member

4. Notok

Notok Registered Member

Have you tried contacting their support? Sometimes they have master passwords for these things, just for this kind of occasion.

5. brucemc

I appreciate the thought, but as NOD32 User suggests, why would they believe me? They should suspect someone trying to hack into a network illegitamately. Notok, I greatly appreciate your point of view - you inherently appear to trust people - wish we lived in a world that was worthy of your trust. Unfortunately most of us would have to view SMC giving me something of this nature and still doing business with them as the old Rodney Dnagerfield line - "I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member".

6. Notok

Notok Registered Member

brucemc: What I'm saying is that some vendors actually have a master password, and some of them will actually give it to you if you call and ask. If my memory serves me correctly, SMC was one of the companies that do this from what I've seen by other user reports. The worst they are going to do is say no.

7. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

And it will be a few hours less of beating your head against a door! :D

8. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

SMC is pretty unsafe "out of the box"
    Master password, if it's not changed IS THERE IN THE MANUAL, MY FRIEND
    you may be able to break into the network since ports 21, 23, 80 are left WIDE owwpen by SMC [grumble]

9. brucemc

OK, I am now interested enough to call them, but I swear, if I am able to talk them into giving me a master password this will be the last SMC product I ever buy!

10. NOD32 user

NOD32 user Registered Member

Exactly

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.