Smartscreen Filter on or off in IE8?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by thegreatoutlaw, Nov 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thegreatoutlaw

thegreatoutlaw Registered Member

Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this topic, seemed like the best option. Do you all use SmartScreen Filter in IE8 or turn it off? Is it worth it to use it? For protection and security I use NOD32AVv4+CIS(firewall/defense+)+MBAM(on-demand)+SAS(on-demand).

2. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

I allways keep it on

3. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

I leave it on even though I have other ways to protect my system. I suppose that like UAC on Vista some people feel it is annoying to have it on. It is really up to you to decide, consider that MS has been constantly criticized over the years for doing nothing in terms of securing their OSs.

Smart screen will also scan executables with or without an AV, if it's not slowing down your browser it is an extra layer of security.

4. thegreatoutlaw

thegreatoutlaw Registered Member

thanks guys! I just wanted to ask to make sure, I hate having a false sense of security with programs that only use resources and do nothing for me lol

5. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

i keep it on and it actually works amazingly, most of the samples ive tested are blacklisted by smartscreen filter :D so many that i had to disable it so i wuld stop getting the red popup wen i was testing :D :D

6. andyman35

andyman35 Registered Member

+1
    It's actually quite an effective tool and given that it has no noticeable impact on performance/resources you might as well leave it on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.