Smartphone users demand even larger screens according to Strategy Analytics

Discussion in 'hardware' started by guest, May 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guest

guest Guest

Source: http://blog.gsmarena.com/smartphone...rger-screens-according-to-strategy-analytics/

Why-oh-why do people not worry about battery life and mobile OS security instead? :(

2. Noob

Noob Registered Member

For me current flagships are big enough. Anything else and it is no comfortable to carry around in my pocket.

3. Nebulus

Nebulus Registered Member

Yeah, I want a larger screen for my mobile phone! Anything smaller than the TV screen in my room is not enough! Oh, wait... Do I have to put it in my pocket?... Damn... :D

4. SplinterCell

SplinterCell Registered Member

My HTC Evo 4G LTE in an OtterBox Defender is about perfect. Any bigger and I may as well just carry around a tablet!

5. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

People like larger screens because it makes it more comfortable to browse the web, read feeds, use some apps (e.g. games) and capture a larger area when using the camera.

People like smaller phones because it fits in their pockets so that they don't have to be carrying the phone in their hands while moving/traveling/walking from 1 place to another.

The 2 are mostly "incompatible" so people have to compromise and make a choice. There's plenty of different market segment to target so each manufacturer comes up with designs that fits the audience.

I do hope manufacturers maintain the variety instead of all saying "let's just go big" for everything. Size matters; even for those whom prefer the 'smaller' ones.

6. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

This seems to be less "Customers demand large screens" and more "Sign our petition" from yet another slapped together interest group. This is also a poll, which in reality means absolutely nothing to anyone who has ever dealt with polls and how they are conducted. Do 100 people want larger screens? 500? 1000? The workers at Strategy Analytics? Also, it's a bit contradictory to say more people want larger screens, yet new buyers want smaller. At least if you're going to do a poll and claim users as a whole want larger sizes, which is exactly how the title of the article portrays it.

Last thing to put out there is that unless people want to hold their phones with two hands, bigger is not necessarily better. Larger screen sizes mean larger lengths and widths of phones. Want to hold a 10in iPad up to the side of your head? Didn't think so. If these phones get much larger, that's almost exactly what it will feel like.

7. safeguy

I knew of an acquaintance who did just that with his tablet (I think it's one of those Samsung ones when it was 1st released and had the ability to make calls). I had to control myself from LOL.

8. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Battery life isn't an issue for most smartphones, and mobile security (not privacy) is little-known and overblown. Therefore, they focus on the aesthetics and functionality.

9. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Not sure what you mean by "mobile security is little-known and overblown". If you mean folks (consumers, hardware makers, and service carriers/providers) are not taking mobile security seriously enough, then I totally agree.

If you are suggesting the mobile security threat is marginal and being overblown out of proportion, then I totally disagree. There is not enough attention on mobile security.

I also contend that privacy IS very much a security issue.

10. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

I guess I'm the minority, I want them smaller...

11. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

Maybe on one end, but I am on the other - I want multiple large (22" or larger) screens on my computing devices. ;)

On my phone, I want to... what it is called? Oh yeah, make phone calls and "talk" to "people" - as in, have a "conversation" with other human beings. :D

12. guest

guest Guest

Peace, I'm not in any way affiliated with GSMArena. :D Agree with you about the petition thingy though.

That's what I meant. Barely anyone's talking about the sandbox. :(

13. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I also find it funny when people hold GIGANTIC tablets (iPad comes to mind) to take picture of something in public. :argh: :argh:

14. safeguy

If those were girls, I wouldn't mind. In fact, I might consider it cute. :D :D

Now imagine seeing someone putting a tablet near to his ear and talking out loud to it. Imagine my plight having to swallow my laugh.

15. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

I just don't get this. If I wanted to carry a large display, it'd be on a notebook, or a tablet with a good on-screen keyboard. For a small device, what I want is a good heads-up display, projection keyboard/touchpad, earbuds and a jawbone subvocal mic. That's what Glass should focus on. Social networking is fine for those that want it, but it's dumb as the focus.

16. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

It's also a great way to announce to everyone in the area that you're a hopeless moron and a great way to get kicked out of concerts (when a band says no photography, they mean it). I saw a guy not long ago get his Surface Pro get snatched by a band member who proceeded to all but fuse his face and the face of the stunned kid together and stomp the device with a steel-toed boot into electronic oblivion. And not one ounce of ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ was given by security. Out the kid went, and I assume said precious device swept up eventually and tossed into a landfill in Stockholm.

Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2013
  17. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I meant both, but the overblown part is my opinion on Wilders-level of paranoia on modern smartphone OS for average users (who probably don't know jailbreaking, or any app installation outside of Marketplaces).

Not saying to have no caution, unless you're talking about adware, which is everywhere.

Not by dictionary definition, or mine. While related, I would say they're still separate.

18. Wild Hunter

Wild Hunter Former Poster

Technology will adapt to such demands...

Flexible devices (with flexible touch screens, etc) will completely change things soon enough.

19. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The article says that people prefer a 4.5" screen vs 4.3" when the last poll was taken.

To put this into perspective that is not a particuarly large screen size, when the new Galaxy S4 has a 5" screen, the Note 2 has 5.5" screen, and phones with a screen as large as 6 inches are available.[/QUOTE]
    With regard to battery life, a large screen does not have to mean poor battery life - amongs the hundreds of large screen Android phone some have very good battery life.

As for security, the security options are the same for all Android phones, it has nothing to do with screen size - there are lots of different AVs for Android.

Perhaps, you were referring to people using non Android phones however.

20. roger_m

Agreed. While I quite often hear about the large amount of infected Android devices, personally I have never come across any in my 2 and half years of owning Android phones and tablets.

I have had Avast detect a rogue - but it was certainly not malicious. My current AV Armor for Android - has given me warnings about some of the ad providers used by some of the apps I have installed as being malicious. But this doesn't really bother me as I never click on the notifications that they deliver.

21. guest

guest Guest

Yes, but the manufacturers have to bump the battery capacity. Li-ion 5000 mAh? Overkill for mobile devices IMO. Not saying that they have/will go that far, but well... :p

Nope nope nope nope. I meant barely anyone demands more security features to mobile OS. Mind you, Android is the most used OS now. As a result, they (Android phone users) will be the main target. I'm a believer that no OS is perfect. There must be a flaw in Android, it's just not exploited yet. That's why I'm questioning at their demands to get more multimedia features, but only a few who wish for security improvements.

22. roger_m

But, you don't need anywhere near that high a cpacity batterey to get the same battery life on a big screen phone as on a smaller one. More aberry life is always better, but I think a lot of the current big screen phones are doing quite well in terms of battery life.

Ture, but for the average person buying a smartphone, security is probably not even a consideration.

23. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Hahahaha mean.

24. guest

guest Guest

Not only screen size, but also multimedia features. The more the manufacturers load anything to their smartphones, the more battery capacity needed to fulfill it. I was quite shocked when I heard there is a smartphone with a built-in screen projector. :eek:

I hope Uncle Google and mobile phone manufacturers also listen to the minorities. :(

25. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

I disagree. I am cool with no larger than 4.8 inch device. The Galaxy Note 2 is a joke. Anyone here have one? I can't picture holding that thing up to my ear to talk lol.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.