SmartHDD

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MerleOne, Apr 8, 2015.

1. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi,
    I recently found on a forum a link to https://www.smarthdd.com/en/index.htm saying a new version had been released. I looked here and there and it seems to be a very nasty software that downloads a lot of malware when activated. Or it is fake info and it's really a useful software. Virustotal says it is fine. But I am wary. Anyone has some experience with it ? Thanks.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@MerleOne I'd never hard of it, but just installed it to see if it was harmful. It is safe to use.

There is however also a rogue program with the same name. As you can see from the screenshots it is a completely different program.

3. MerleOne

Thanks ! One text I read said that the activated version was harmful but the screenshots seems very different. Now I wonder how such a small program can have its own defrag engine...

4. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Registered Member

5. MerleOne

Actually the SmartHDD I have the URL of seems ok and it works. But it is not free for most features.

6. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

Here's another option - open source -
    HDD Guardian provides a Windows front-end for smartctl, a utility which monitors your hard drive(s) and SSD(s) for health status, taking advantage of S.M.AR.T.
    https://hddguardian.codeplex.com/

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@Kyle_Katarn It is not a hoax. As I stated in my previous post, there are two programs with the same name. The one mentioned in this thread is the legitimate one, not the rogue.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  8. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Registered Member

OK, my mistake.