SmartHDD

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by MerleOne, Apr 8, 2015.

1. MerleOne

MerleOne Registered Member

Hi,
    I recently found on a forum a link to https://www.smarthdd.com/en/index.htm saying a new version had been released. I looked here and there and it seems to be a very nasty software that downloads a lot of malware when activated. Or it is fake info and it's really a useful software. Virustotal says it is fine. But I am wary. Anyone has some experience with it ? Thanks.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@MerleOne I'd never hard of it, but just installed it to see if it was harmful. It is safe to use.

There is however also a rogue program with the same name. As you can see from the screenshots it is a completely different program.

3. MerleOne

Thanks ! One text I read said that the activated version was harmful but the screenshots seems very different. Now I wonder how such a small program can have its own defrag engine...

4. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

5. MerleOne

Actually the SmartHDD I have the URL of seems ok and it works. But it is not free for most features.

6. chachazz

chachazz Updates Team

Here's another option - open source -
    HDD Guardian provides a Windows front-end for smartctl, a utility which monitors your hard drive(s) and SSD(s) for health status, taking advantage of S.M.AR.T.
    https://hddguardian.codeplex.com/

7. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

@Kyle_Katarn It is not a hoax. As I stated in my previous post, there are two programs with the same name. The one mentioned in this thread is the legitimate one, not the rogue.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  8. Kyle_Katarn

Kyle_Katarn Developer

OK, my mistake.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.