Smart Security: Outlook 2007 is constantly crashing

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by MarkHerm, Nov 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MarkHerm

MarkHerm Registered Member

Hi,
    I am using Vista x64, Smart Security 5.2.9.12 and Outlook 2007. The OS as well as Outlook are up to date with updates. There are no other third party Add-Ons installed within Outlook. I use all standard settings in Smart Security with respect to Web/Email protection and I use multiple POP and IMAP email accounts in Outlook. FWIW, my inboxes are rather huge with thousands of elements in each.
    After installing ESET SS5 my Outlook has been crashing constantly. I periodically receive the message "Outlook encountered a problem and stopped working" then "Outlook is restating now" (I use the German version, so I don't know the exact English wording). This continously happens every 5-30 minutes.

I'd be really happy to find a solution for this as this problem is quite annoying. Any help is very welcome.

Thanks!

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Does disabling integration with MS Outlook or POP3 protocol scanning in the advanced ESS setup make a difference?

3. MarkHerm

I think I solved the problem somehow. I had one email account in which I receive loads of spam mails. I have never bothered to mark these as read so I had maybe 1-3 thousand unread emails sitting in my inbox.
    Yesterday I marked the whole inbox as read and since then, Outlook hasn't crashed a single time even without disabling anything from ESS. I have no idea why it worked but so far it's looking good.

Thanks anyways!

4. terradon

terradon Registered Member

I would guess that it was an issue with the program appearing to hang because it took so long to complete the task of downloading all of the messages. Add to that the time it would take for ESS to scan each message for both spam and threats and you were simply asking too much!

5. MarkHerm

I honestly don't think so. I am using Outlook for years, so all messages were already downloaded when I installed ESS. It never crashed before. And it did not appear to hang but giving an error message that it crashed and that it needed to restart which never was an issue before installing ESS. So I think the ESS plugin could not handle the amount of unread messages and caused Outlook to crash. Maybe unread messages are scaned differently?! Anyways, it appears to be working now. Thanks.

6. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

how big is your PST file? Are you on 32-bit or 64-bit OS?

MS Outlook 2007 does HORRIBLY when PST > 2Gb on 32-bit system - basically, you cannot keep it running - might not be the reason, but it is a known MS Outlook '07 issue.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

When an application crashes, a crash dump should be generated. Please compress it, upload it to a safe location and PM me the download link. If you have some other plug-ins installed, what are they?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.