Smart Security firewall blocking Virtual PC

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by sfagent07, May 31, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sfagent07

sfagent07 Registered Member

hey guys I installed virtual pc with windows xp on it. But as long as my firewall is on in smart security it completely blocks the web and my traffic. Im a newb can someone tell how I can keep the protection on and still surf the web? Right now I have to disable it for it to work in virtual pc.

2. shansmi

shansmi Registered Member

put the firewall in interactive mode and let it learn all the ports and network adaptors as the Virtual PC hooks into the real adaptor... be sure to say allow and save your response on first launch. I had this working one time a while back and was actually using Free AVG on the XP Pro VM but ESS on Vista...

i have not tried this since SP1 on Vista and SP3 on XP....it has also been two iterations of ESS...650 was new back then....

3. sfagent07

I put it in interactive mode but its not asking me anything at all

4. sfagent07

nevermind it just popped up, you fixed it! ty so much!

5. mickhardy

mickhardy Registered Member

I had this same problem and always had to disable the ESS Firewall to allow traffic from my Virtual Servers. I use the actual Network Card with the ESET Personal Firewall Miniport rather than Shared NAT for the Virtual PC Network Settings.

When trying to fix this, I received the error message, Configuration Settings Unavailable or similar and decided to do yet another complete reinstall. Deleted all ESET folders and registry entries. Installed V3.0.657 and the problem has disappeared. My virtual servers can once again logon to the domain and access shared folders with the local Vista machine's ESS firewall enabled.

I never received a popup message to allow or deny this Virtual PC traffic. Another post mentions enabling a setting about Virtual Network Adapters but I haven't been able to find the specified setting. EDIT: Ahhh, that rule - under detailed view of all rules...I doubt I would have purposely unchecked this.

It is possible an option I'd altered somwehere was restored to default after reinstalling but I have no idea which setting this would be.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2008
  6. mickhardy

After complete uninstall, clean and install of V3.0.667, this Virtual PC problem is back. ESS blocks all traffic from the Virtual PC but does not prompt in Interactive mode. The allow inbound communication from Virtual Adapters rule is enabled.

EDIT: Further investigation below.

The blocked communication is caused by the NETBIOS block rules listed below but I am unsure as to why the Virtual PC is not recognised as part of the Trusted Zone. The Virtual PC is connected to our domain and is assigned an IP address within the Trusted Zone. I do not understand why the "Allow NETBIOS requests in trusted zone" rules are not used. Turning off the NETBIOS Block rules fixes the issue but I would like someone with a bit more knowledge to chip in and explain why.

Block NETBIOS Name Service Requests
    Block incoming NETBIOS requests
    Block outgoing NETBIOS requests

Do block rules take precedence over allow rules?
    Do rules higher up the list take precedence over lower rules?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2008
  7. mickhardy

The plot thickens. Now there are no blocked events in the ESS log but the Virtual PC still cannot communicate with the Network unless I disable the firewall. It could for a while but now it can't. I tried rebooting but no joy.

I'm about to try the universal solution for the umpteenth time.

Uninstall
    Clean file system and registry
    Reinstall

Eset has caused me more grief over the past two months than Microsoft and that's saying something.

8. mickhardy

Well, what do you know. Reinstall magically fixed everything once again. Nice!

Took nine minutes to shutdown and four minutes to boot after installation with the default configurations. After tweaking a few settings and accepting a few outbound connections, boot time is back to the normal sub one minute Vista boot. My Virtual PC works normally. There still wasn't any prompt for Virtual PC but it works. All virtual traffic is allowed. The NETBIOS rules mentioned above do not block any traffic. There are no Firewall events logged. I rebooted a couple of times just to be sure and, for now, everything is sweet. Back to work using my Virtual Server to import emails into our archive.

Only one more lost morning due to Eset, which started with the Word Document false positives from the overnight scan and continued with a bunch of logged errors from my Virtual PC's overnight import failures.

9. mickhardy

I just ran into this same issue again. I reinstalled Virtual PC SP1 and ESS then broke my Virtual traffic. Rebooting and messing with rules does not fix this issue.

If you would like Virtual PC to work correctly, ensure you install ESS after you install Virtual PC. :thumb:

Otherwise you have to disable the ESS firewall to allow certain types of Virtual PC traffic through such as logging onto a domain, obtaining a DHCP Network address or running the Computer Connection wizard in SBS 2003.

Internet traffic from the Virtual PC works fine and no prompts are thown up saying any traffic is blocked but when you examine the blocked rules, they are implemented incorrectly as per previous posts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.