Smart Security Beta 2 and Directv HR-20

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security v3 Beta Forum' started by pdawg17, Aug 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pdawg17

pdawg17 Registered Member

Beta 2 fixed my problem with streaming to my Xbox 360 (WMP11)...however, I can't get my HR-20 (Directv) to see my PC (WMP11)...anyone have luck with this? I am in interactive mode and even after rebooting the HR-20, nothing happens...I have my trusted zone address range set up as well...

2. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Try enabling logging all blocked connections in the IDS setup and then see the firewall log if there's a connection blocked by the firewall.

3. pdawg17

Thanks...here is what shows up in the log file:

8/24/2007 9:34:42 AM Communication denied by rule 192.168.1.109:34449 192.168.1.102:2869 TCP Block incoming ICSLAP (UPNP) requests system

I already have "allow upnp into trusted zone" checked...what else do I need to do?

This is the only other thing that shows up but I have no idea if this is related or not:

8/24/2007 10:08:20 AM No used rule found 192.168.1.1 (source) 224.0.0.1 (target) IGMP (protocol)

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  4. Chuck_IV

Chuck_IV Registered Member

Getting the same problem here, with the same log messages.

**EDIT**
    I got it working, but there's something wrong with the rules window.

I added a rule under "system"(called HR20) to allow TCP in/out from anything in the trusted zone, since TCP is what was being blocked. I then added the 192.168.1.xxx addresses of my HR20 and my PC to the trusted zone. That allowed things to work. The PROBLEM is, I now cannot find that rule(the one under system, I called "HR20") in the list, under system. It's not there, at all.

I originally just tried to add the 192.168.1.xxx HR20 and my PC addresses to the trusted zones, but that didn't work. Only adding the allow TCP in both directions for the trusted zone, to the system worked(even tho i can no longer see the rule).

Last edited: Aug 24, 2007
  5. pdawg17

I thought I understood what you are saying but I can't get it to work...do you mind explaining where you went in the ESET menu and what you selected?

6. Chuck_IV

The first thing I did was put my machine's and HR20's ip addresses into the Trusted Zone(Setup|Personal Firewall|Configure Trusted Zone). I added a range of ip's from 192.168.1.101 -192.168.1.105 just to make sure if I rebooted things and my DHCP server in my router, reallocted different ip's to things, I'd be covered.

I then went into Setup|Personal Firewall|Configure Rules and Zones. In there, under "System", I added a rule to allow TCP both ways and in the remote tab, under remote address, I clicked add zone and selected Trusted.

Once I did this, things worked, however, I don't know what the security ramifications are AND there's no way to change it or get rid of it(minus reinstalling), since, for some reason, the rule doesn't show up in the list, under system(at least for me it doesn't). So beware, in that sense.

7. pdawg17

Hmmm...I'm using Vista x86 and I don't have a "system" section under Configure Rules and Zones...do I need to somehow "activate" that service so ESET sees it?

8. Chuck_IV

I'm under Vista x86, and using Interactive mode. The reason I used "system" was because that is what was listed under application in the log window, when I looked at the block messages.

9. pdawg17

Ok...this is weird...my block messages USED TO list "system" and now it is blank...therefore I have no "system" listed in applications/rules either...do you also have a separate "Host process for Windows Services" choice with svchost.exe? That's the closest thing I have to system...how frustrating...what is listed under "system"? Something about Netbios?

EDIT: I rebooted and now the log shows "system" as being the problem again but it is still not listed in the rules section..."system" IS listed under the "Protection status" part of the menu...

Last edited: Aug 25, 2007
  10. Chuck_IV

I think there is something wrong with the Rules section, because sometimes I cannot edit rules, but other times I can, I cannot see the rule I put inplace under system and you can't even see system.

What you could do is try reinstalling it and see if things reset. Right now, it's working for me, so I don't wanna change anything, just to see the rule.

11. pdawg17

Well...I uninstalled and reinstalled and still could not get "system" to show up for some reason...for sh*ts and giggles I installed ZA 7.1 trial and my HR-20 immediately picked up my pc...I love this Smart Security prog though and I know I'll be back when it's fixed...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.