Smart Security 4 - ekrn.exe 100% usage

Discussion in 'ESET Smart Security' started by futuresplayer, Jan 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. futuresplayer

futuresplayer Registered Member

I have been using several different AV programs in the past (AVG, Kaspersky) and for the last two years Norton Security. There were always some issues and Norton from time to time was consuming 100% of CPU usage. After some research I bought the latest Smart Security 4 (4.0.467.70) and all was running fine but lately while the computer was idle for some time it became very sluggish. When I checked what causes it I found ekrn.exe using almost 90% and the rest is used by MsMpEng.exe.
    It looks like with new AV software the same issue repeats. What causes it and can it be solved?

Best regards,

Alex

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  2. futuresplayer

Re: Smart Security 4 - ekran.exe 100% usage

I did not mention my OS is Win XP with service pack 3.

Alex

3. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

I believe MsMpEng.EXE is a part of Microsoft's consumer anti-virus software offering.

By any chance did you install Microsoft Security Essentials onto the same computer running ESET Smart Security?

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

4. futuresplayer

Yes, I had it installed. Just yesterday I removed it and so far so good. Thank you,

Alex

5. agoretsky

agoretsky Eset Staff Account

Hello,

It is not a good idea to run multiple anti-malware programs together as they can lead to issues like 100% CPU usage when the on-access or self-protection components interfere with each other.

Regards,

Aryeh Goretsky

6. dwmtractor

dwmtractor Registered Member

That said, I do see ekrn.exe taking up 50-75% processor time in some random times, and it does cause brief system slowdowns when it does so. Usually not for long (a minute or two at most), but it does seem that the low footprint is starting to grow. . .a discouraging thing since most of us came to ESET in large measure for that low footprint.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.