Smart Scan vs. Full Scan

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by jjc225, Jul 13, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

I used ESET years ago, went away from it, and now I'm back, and like it very much. I forgot a few things about its features, if you'll indulge me briefly.

The first time I ran a full scan on the machine I'm currently using, a Compaq 64-bit with Windows 7, it took about an hour and 45 minutes, which was fine. On subsequent scans it is taking about 20 minutes, utilizing the smart scan. So my question is, is there ever a need to go back to a full scan through the custom scan option, or is a smart scan the only thing that is needed at this point? Would a full scan be a waste of time, or should it be run occasionally?

Thanks.

2. rollers

rollers Registered Member

My thoughts are that now that you have done the full scan, subsequent scans can be the smart scan, but perhaps once in s while, say every month or so do another in depth scan, more for your own peace of mind.

3. jjc225

jjc225 Registered Member

Thanks, seems reasonable.

4. jna99

jna99 Registered Member

I agree with Rollers on this. I think you should perform in depth or full scans when you think it is needed or when you have been at websites that are somewhat insecure or otherwise suspicious maybe.
    Or do everyday smart scans and a full scan at the end of the week or something, but that is all how about how your look or view is about the frequency of full scans.

Eset does have the option "enable smart optimization", which is enabled by default, within "ThreatSense engine parameter setup" (advanced setup).
    I think that somehow the very first scan takes a long time and subsequent scans take a bit less because of this, but can't say this with certainty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.